PDA

View Full Version : identifying aiptasia

dcmoore
08-28-2007, 03:40 AM
I just got my first live rock and it has some aiptasia on it. I'm going to try injecting lemon juice this evening. Some of the "aiptasia" is the light brown that I have seen elsewhere, but some of it is dark brown. I just want to make sure that the dark brown variety isn't something desirable that I should be leaving alone. So is there something that looks like aiptasia?

This tank is 1 day old so the cycling process is just started. Is there any way that I could use peppermint shrimp to remove it and keep the shrimp alive?. I don't have another SW tank. What I really need is "Rent-A-Shrimp", lol.

Jason McK
08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
A Shrimp would likely die in a tank just cycling. The Ammonia and Nitrite would be killer. I would use boiling water or Lemon juice or you can buy products like Joes Juice (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/medicine.php?product_ID=md-jjuice020) or Stop Aptasia (http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2294/Stop-Aiptasia/)

Try a search and you will find hundreds of cures

J

andresont
08-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Nice rock !
Boiling water and suringe works too.

mseepman
08-28-2007, 05:30 AM
So does injecting Kalk directly into each polyp.

mark
08-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Got some big ones.

Best results I've had is from a suggestion on this board; make a paste using kalk and water mixing in some of the juice you get from thawing mysis, then using a syringe, feed the little buggers. Don't need to inject.

Whatigot
08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Got some big ones.

Best results I've had is from a suggestion on this board; make a paste using kalk and water mixing in some of the juice you get from thawing mysis, then using a syringe, feed the little buggers. Don't need to inject.

can you elaborate on this for a slow british columbian?

mark
08-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Had tried injecting directly with vinegar or kalk (in solution) with limited luck. Could get some but most would retreat into the rock where I couldn't get them.

What I do now is make a paste using kalk and water. Thaw out some mysis in a little tank water then decant the liquid into the paste keeping the paste liquid enough that I can suck it into a large bore syringe. I'll then slowly drip a bit of the paste over the aiptasia, more to feed them rather than cover. Go slow and they'll stay out and eat the stuff up.

Whatigot
08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
where do you get your kalk if you don't mind me asking?

mark
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
where do you get your kalk if you don't mind me asking?

LFS, I've got a CA reactor so only needed a little bit for things like this.

If your planning on supplementing littlesilvermax (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=67) seems the guy for buying bulk.

Whatigot
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
awesome.
thank you.

dcmoore
08-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I was really hoping that someone would tell me that those were not aiptasia and that I should leave them alone. The dark brown one on the right and the almost purple one near the center look quite nice. I really hate to nuke them :sad:. What is the other purple growth near the center? I assume that it is some kind of coral since the broken tips are pure white. What type of macroalgae is growing on the left? I'm assuming that it is a keeper. Am I correct?