PDA

View Full Version : Blue ridge coral

Snappy
08-28-2007, 03:35 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this type of coral? The latin name is Heliopora coerulea and although it looks like sps with it's hard exterior skeleton it is actually considered a softy. From what I've read the polyps extend a few days a month however since I picked it up last weekend from Kari it's polyps have been out every day. It seems to be a low maintainance coral and easy to keep but I was just wondering if anybody has this coral and what their experience has been.

justinl
08-28-2007, 04:18 AM
no idea. i mean polyp extension is usually a good thing right? anyways, just wanted to say that this thread is worthless without pics :D

mr_alberta
08-28-2007, 04:35 AM
I had one for a while back in the day. Its an interesting coral though the color isn't exactly exciting (well, not unless it dies). Doesn't seem to fussy as to where its placed in my experience. The polyps do come out randomly and for random periods of time. What triggers it to extend its polyps is beyond me. Since I'm guessing you dose a lot of things like Phyto, Oyster eggs, etc. I would guess it is extending its polyps to feed.

Bryan
08-28-2007, 04:37 AM
I have a huge colony of it and it is pretty much impossible to kill the thing. Grows fast and is not choosy of lighting. If closer to the bulbs it is grows a lighter color. Does appreciate med to high flow. I notice the polyps tend to come out a couple days after a water change. Don't know why, I suspect a fresh dose of trace elements is the cause of it.

I believe the blue skeleton is from manganese absorbed from the water.

Delphinus
08-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Absolutely bulletproof. I have a colony that's about 5-6 years old now, started from a crumb that broke off when we moved Carpentersreef tank. I should try to snap a picture of it as it's rather neat looking how it has spread and put up little fingers like stalagmites. I have it to blame for my rockwork basically being one large piece of rock now instead of several rocks just stacked together. :)

Snappy
08-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. Justin I'll snap a picture of it when I get a chance.

kari
08-28-2007, 12:36 PM
interesting coral though the color isn't exactly exciting (well, not unless it dies).

Hey, are you calling what used to be my old coral ugly?:lol: I think they look pretty cool when the polyps open up.

Snappy
08-30-2007, 02:07 AM
this thread is worthless without pics :D

ok JustinL here is a picture of the coral in question.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/aug2907002.jpg

Der_Iron_Chef
08-30-2007, 02:38 AM
I like it.

Snappy
08-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Drew,
I have frags available

digital-audiophile
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
How much are you asking for frags?