PDA

View Full Version : Beckett skimmer pumps

Doug
08-28-2007, 02:31 AM
A friend runs his 28in. beckett, which we use to drive with a Mak 4, now with a GenX PCX 55. Great pump and drives it better than a Mak 4 but noisy as heck.

Now when Mike was running his duel beckett with a Mak 5, I thought it was fairly quite for such a large fan cooled pump, more so than the PX 55 and of course, more power.

So my friend has thought of switching to the Mak 5 or something with similar power but less noise. Has anyone run both of these and can comment on their thoughts of the noise? Or other pump suggestions?

Looking at the Panworld 200 PS for around $300. Similar powered Iwaki 70 is $445. I think its around $200 for a GenX 55. Blueline HD 70 is around $420. Lots of dollars. Perhaps since a Mag 24 seemed to do well a Mag 36 for around $270 would fit the bill and run much quieter but then I assume heat the water more.

Quinster
08-28-2007, 11:18 AM
How old is the GenX PCX 55? Have you pulled it apart and checked the bearings? I had a MAK 4 that was making noise after 2 years of use and when I took it apart I found some play in the bearings, went to a local shop and got SS replacements (very high quality ones...read $$$) but I believe it is quieter than new!

Just a thought...

kari
08-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I used a Sequence Wahoo on a dual beckett until last week but would recommend the pump Deb was using instead. The Wahoo was a bit less on energy consumption and price but the Marlin (I think that was the model) was super quiet with a bit more pressure.

I wouldn't go with the Mag pump. Next thing you would need is a chiller because of too many submersible pumps.

robzilla
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
tagging along as i run a GenX PCX 40 on my beckett and it's noisy. :)

Doug
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont believe its that old Quinn. Not much more than a year.

Kari, are those not direct drive pumps. Thats what I first suggested to him but many keep telling me because they are not designed for pressure use, its hard on them and the seals ?

I agree on the Mag and heat, although if in a situation where its in the basement and heaters are being used, it may be a good idea. I,m thinking it would drive the skimmer well. Unless central air is used though, the summer may be a problem for heat.

littlesilvermax
08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree on the Mag and heat, although if in a situation where its in the basement and heaters are being used, it may be a good idea. I,m thinking it would drive the skimmer well. Unless central air is used though, the summer may be a problem for heat.

Whatever dollars you save on a pump that puts heat in your water, you will pay back threefold in AC costs in the summer getting the heat out.

Joe Reefer
08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I ran a panworld 200PS and a mak5 on my beckett. The panworld is so much quieter than the mak.

Doug
08-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Whatever dollars you save on a pump that puts heat in your water, you will pay back threefold in AC costs in the summer getting the heat out.

Hi Ben. I dont think you would have to increase the AC, If room temps are stable but then I never ran a 3600. Driving my beckett with a 2400 raised my temp 2 degrees. Thats with no heaters on.

I wonder if what money is wasted in the summer would be made back in the winter by running heaters less. Although doubt this is the route to go, as I,m sure he wants another external, so just discussing it. :smile:

Doug
08-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I ran a panworld 200PS and a mak5 on my beckett. The panworld is so much quieter than the mak.

Thanks Lando. I will pass that on. Still cant even find a Mak 5 for sale.

albert_dao
08-28-2007, 06:12 PM
FYI, Mag 36 sounds like a jet engine. I've stopped selling them because it wasn't just an aberrant pump, they were all loud.

littlesilvermax
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi Ben. I dont think you would have to increase the AC, If room temps are stable but then I never ran a 3600. Driving my beckett with a 2400 raised my temp 2 degrees. Thats with no heaters on.

I wonder if what money is wasted in the summer would be made back in the winter by running heaters less. Although doubt this is the route to go, as I,m sure he wants another external, so just discussing it. :smile:

Heating the water in the summer means the house's interior runs warmer with a higher humidity level.

Trust me on this, it costs major money to get that extra heat out.

The difference will be slightly made up in the winter, but nothing is 100% efficient, so you lose.:cry:

Skimmerking
08-28-2007, 10:28 PM
well when I had the mak 5 going on the dual beckett it was realy quite. I thought it was going to be extremely loud, however the air getting sucked into the becketts were loud not the pump...

Doug
08-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks Albert.

I wont argue that point with you Ben, as I do trust you on what your saying. :D

Hey Mike, I know what yers sounded like. :lol: It was not to bad. I was trying to remember what the GenX sounded like in comparison. I think for the price, the Panworld 200 may be a decent buy but at 290 watts. Do you remember what wattage the Mak 5 ran at?

I was just looking at the Bluelines. Look pretty similar to Panworld. The Blueline HD 70 is a bit more money though. Anyone run them.

Skimmerking
08-29-2007, 02:42 AM
the mak 5 runs at 180 w

Doug
08-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Panworld and Blueline? Look almost the same from pics.
Thanks

littlesilvermax
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Panworld and Blueline? Look almost the same from pics.
Thanks

They are a very very similiar design

I have bought two of the Blueline HD pumps (HD100 and HD70) and even though they look similiar they are of much better quality IMO. Mine are about 4 years old and are quiet and very reliable. Finish seems better quality, seals seem better, impeller appears to be better, etc......