PDA

View Full Version : HDPE (high-density polyethylene)

Der_Iron_Chef
08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
What do people think about using a 3/4"-1" piece of HDPE for the bottom of an aquarium with glass sides? I don't mean as starboard, I mean as the actual bottom piece. Would the glass bond to it well enough?

I'm curious....

littlesilvermax
08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
What do people think about using a 3/4"-1" piece of HDPE for the bottom of an aquarium with glass sides? I don't mean as starboard, I mean as the actual bottom piece. Would the glass bond to it well enough?

I'm curious....

It is not the glass bonding to it, it is the silicone. AFAIK there is no kind of silicone that bonds to HDPE.

mr_alberta
08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
littlesilvermax is correct. Silicone does not stick to HDPE well enough (if at all) for me to trust it to hold any sort of pressure.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Gotcha. Thanks :)

Zylumn
08-28-2007, 04:20 AM
What if you used 1/4" glass for the bottom and and used the HDPE glued between it and the stand. I am guessing you can get HDPE cheap or it would not have been an option.

04scoobysti
08-28-2007, 04:25 AM
Theres a company in the states that makes custom aquariums with some type of a plastic bottom. I remember seeing a build thread on RC a while ago, but can't find it. The basicly router a channel for the glass to slide into, im not sure how its glued together though. I would love to find that link agian though.