PDA

View Full Version : Return line to frag tank

digital-audiophile
08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
So I just picked up a sweet frag tank yesterday (thanks Kari!) and I am going to plumb it into my sump to make it part of the larger system. (easier for water quality, dosing, heating, water changes etc etc.)

The questions I have is that I am running a rio 32HF return pump into my 90. Now the current 90 I have is a little odd in the drain set up (and I plan on having a new sexy 90G tank bulit through Albert in the spring) so on the return I have to throttle the water flow back to only 1/4 of the power or it will overflow the tank.

Now.. I guess the question, is it feasable for me to run a tee off of the pump return and use it to feed the frag tank (~50G) as well, or should I just bite the bullet and get a small internal pump to return to the frag set up.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. :)

mr_alberta
08-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Just tee of the main line. It'll be cheaper to do it that way (although not necessarily easier depending on the plumbing and how much space you have).

kari
08-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Thats how that tank was setup here. A little giant pump 3MDQX with a tee and true unions to feed two tanks.

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 03:12 PM
In a pinch you could even just use a powerhead to feed the tank. But if you're throttling back the main tank anyhow then you have flow to spare so yeah as mentioned, no issue there.

digital-audiophile
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Awesome! Thanks guys! I was hoping I could get away with using just the one pump, and I am eager to get this all set up.

The only bad part now is that western pump is closed on Sundays :( Anyone else in Cowtown open on Sundays that sells true union ball valves and flex PVC at a decent price so I can spend a rainy Sunday inside?

kari
08-26-2007, 04:26 PM
The only place I buy valves is Western Internation Plastics. They sell some really nice IPEX true unions. They are only open weekdays. They do not sell flex pvc. Could try phoning some of the hot tube places for pipe on a weekend.

Try Albert at Gold, bet he has what you are looking for.

digital-audiophile
08-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I was thinking Albert might be able to help. How bad am I going to get bent over though :p

Pan
08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I was thinking Albert might be able to help. How bad am I going to get bent over though :p

Buy booster shoes and loom over him it will intimidate him....

:)

digital-audiophile
08-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't end up really even getting started today... I went to move the stand beside my sump and I am 3/4" of an inch short on space!! Now I need to drain my sump, remove ~100lbs of LR I have in there and shift my sump about an inch to the right so I can fit the frag stand in beside it. (My Display tank is right as you come to the bottom of the stairs in the basement, and my sump is in the furnace room in behind) Murphy's law I guess eh? Since it is I got lazy and decided that I will do that in a weeks time when I have a few days off and have spend the afternoon watching finding nemo with my daughter :lol: