PDA

View Full Version : WantedL 30-50ish Cube

Pan
08-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone has one for sale. Has to be drilled with overflow. I am looking to have one made but the tank manufacturer is less than an appealing person to talk to (for glass) and acrylic manufacturers want huge prices. If I can get one already done for cheap I think I will go that route.
Just seeing if there is on around.
Thanks.

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Used to be you could get a 30g cube (18x18x18) at Petsmart with a reasonably decent stand. Not sure how cheaply though. No overflow, but, it's not too hard to get glass cut (Glass Guild) and drill the tank and so on. Several people on the board have glass drill bits (I'm one anyhow), so, if you want to go that route I'm sure we could help you out. I can't drill glass at the moment (I broke my shoulder in a mountain biking accident last week) but I could lend you my drill bits and tell you how to do it (believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it).

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 05:03 AM
BTW I'm going to split this thread and put a copy (without my DIY suggestions) into the marketplace because you might get more hits that way.

Pan
08-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your shoulder...I haven't been on a bike for a long time....

Wow. Thank-you.
I am so glad I was told about canreef :)The only reason why I was looking into getting it custom built was because of the way i wanted my closed loop drilled into it. I have no faith in my diy ability's when it comes to drilling tanks :) what are the odds of cracking a tank when drilling. (Oh and the oceanic cube I was looking at cannot have the bottom drilled - which is where i wanted the drain for the closed loop - but i guess i could re-figure. What i need is a reef meet where i can get some people who have done this sort of thing - direct input.)
Oh and i would like tp make a cubed sump - at least thats the plan. I could walways make a two tiered stand have the cube facing me and use say a standard 40-55 gallon and just turn it to it looked like a cube - though it would be quite a ways out from the wall. I get so excited about all the possiblities it gets overwhelming. I am looking forwad to doing a tank build thread. I have my little 15 gallon cube, but theres not much to it.

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 05:54 AM
I went exploring for my limits ... and found them. :) Oh well, I'm slowly healing.

One workaround for the tempered bottoms is to drill out the back panel instead of the bottom. I had to do this for my FW tank because the tank has a tempered bottom. You can see details of the build (including the overflow) in this thread: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28505

The odds of breaking glass are non-zero, but, the trick is to go slow on the drill and very little pressure. Like about 1/4 speed of the drill, very little weight pushing the drill, and let the drill "sand" its way down through the glass. It takes a few minutes (1/2" glass takes forever :) ) and once you're close to pushing through you back way off on the speed and pressure and then you just pop through.

You need some cutting oil and a little reservoir thingy to hold the oil in place as you drill through it (I have this stuff too). It's easier to show than to describe, sorry if it doesn't make sense.

I have busted .. hmmm .. I'd say about 3 tanks drilling, but have drilled at least 40 holes. So .. yeah, like I said, non-zero but less than say 1 in 10 odds. Each time I did break a tank there was a reason (got impatient, or was trying to drill a non-empty tank, and so on). I was able to fix each tank (patch or replace the panel in question). If someone has some scrap glass, maybe the thing to do is do a trial run. But basically, once you've done it once, you realize it's not too bad.

Pan
08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Well I might just have to see if you (when you heal) or maybe a fellow reefer will cut me some holes. I would still like the custom for some reason...ego perhaps?
My little cube needs a big brother...though i think i might use it as a refugium if i can figure a way to tie it into a sump, maybe with some pvc.

michika
08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
If you are willing to wait a bit I may have a 18x18x18 cube available soon.

findingnemo1
08-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Catherine you have a pm

Der_Iron_Chef
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
If you are willing to wait a bit I may have a 18x18x18 cube available soon.

Aw no, really? Is this the tank giving you so much trouble? :(

michika
08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah its that tank. I'm planning on an upgrade. I think my problem was triggered by the tap water I used for a couple of weeks way back when. I don't think it has anything to do with the tank itself, I think its more the biological side of things.

fishytime
08-26-2007, 07:19 PM
check here.http://www.usedcalgary.com/classified-ad/3747252&category=aquariums-fish