PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! Look at this, it's almost disgusting!

Delphinus
08-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's something I guarantee you'll never see in a Canadian LFS...

http://www.saltycritter.com/images/pics/082507/carpets1.jpg

Purple gigantea's, blue gigantea's, green gigantea's .....

Man alive it's so unfair what you can get if you live in the U.S. that you can't get up here.

To think that I waited a period from 1999 to 2004 (so 4.5 years, approximately) just for a single gigantea to land in a local LFS, and when it did land, it was a brown one. To me this would almost be worth the drive to Ohio. (It's so weird that Ohio seems to be "ground zero" for wicked reefkeeping livestock, but cquarium, premiumaquatics, saltycritter, and a number of other high-end U.S. based vendors seem to operate out of Ohio..)

michika
08-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah what is with Ohio!

Awesome find though Tony!

Der_Iron_Chef
08-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I actually gasped! Amazing.

Delphinus
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
There look to me like there are at least 3 purple in there. I'd almost trade up everything else that I have just for one purple gigantea. I'm guessing there are at least 10 distinct individuals in there - maybe 4 green (hard to say where one ends and the next begins), at least 3 purples, and maybe 3 or 4 blues. All I can say is "wow". I've seen large carpet shipments here in Canada but 1) usually no more than 4-5 and 2) certainly not gigantea's. In the time I've bought my 2 (one in 2004 and one in 2005) I have seen other gigantea's pass through the stores but I would guess it's somewhere in the order of 20 to 30 haddoni's to 1 gigantea. So to see 10 in a tank like this just completely boggles my mind.

Zoaelite
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
They look like the insides of a radioactive Pig... I want them :razz: :razz: :razz: !!!

PoonTang
08-26-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought it was one of those chinese wrinkle dogs that some kid had spray painted :twised:

digital-audiophile
08-26-2007, 12:20 AM
I've always wondered why Canada does not get the same quality that there is in the States. You would assume that the LFS's here would be dealing with the same suppliers??

bv_reefer
08-26-2007, 12:33 AM
-not something i expect to see around here, or in my tank :sad:, before i thought it was just claims but it does seem that suppliers in the states have better livestock..

howdy20012002
08-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Just so you know, I have brought in all of these colours and types in the past and can still probably get them.
So yeah, If you want one, LMK
thanks
Neal

Der_Iron_Chef
08-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Just so you know, I have brought in all of these colours and types in the past and can still probably get them.
thanks
Neal

Neal,

Cost on these bad boys?

Mik_101
08-26-2007, 02:20 AM
MAn those are just breth taking.

EmilyB
08-26-2007, 03:13 AM
thanks
Neal

Okay, I want one. :mrgreen:

howdy20012002
08-26-2007, 04:04 AM
I think that the blue ones' were around a 100.00, the purple about 150.00 and the bright green about 75.00
but they were huge..a couple I had were about a foot across.
It will all depend if my supplier has them when I place the order
Neal

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 04:56 AM
Well .. there was a time you couldn't get them. I'm glad that Canadian vendors have found suppliers willing to send us this stuff because there was a time we only got whatever didn't get snapped up by the stores down south.

Neal, one of these days I'm gonna come knocking on your door for a purple ...

Der_Iron_Chef
08-26-2007, 06:17 AM
I'm curious....would a Tek HOT5 8x39w fixture be enough to keep one of these beauties healthy?

Delphinus
08-26-2007, 06:22 AM
IMO it's more about adequate water movement and gas exchange, of course lighting is important too. But an 8 lamp T5 unit is going to be fairly bright ... I don't see it being a limiting factor.

Unfortunately gigantea has a terrible track record for melting within the first week or two, it seems they are very prone to picking up bacterial or other kind of infection during collection/shipping/retail. Nobody really understands why this is. If you can get them past the first month though they're pretty hardy. These anemones are my favourite species, they just look cool in my opinion, although haddoni's can come in brighter colours (nothing can compare to a crimson red haddoni). But haddoni's get larger, and are prone to eating fish, whereas gigantea's are better behaved in this regard.