PDA

View Full Version : Pop eye help

niloc16
08-25-2007, 06:36 PM
just this morning i recognized my juvenile orange shoulder tang is starting to get pop eye. there is a tiny bubble under his one eye. i was wondering what success you guys have had in curing it or will it cure itself with time. there doesnt seem to be any type of injury noticeable to cause an infection but its hard to say

dogboy
08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
There is lots of good info on WetWebMedia http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PopeyeCause.htm...

If I may loosely quote some info on that site... a true case of popeye usually affects both eyes and to treat would require an antibiotic....

Try QT'ing the affected fish, keep it in good water conditions and monitor till you discover what exactally it is... since fish dont have eyelids it is possible that the fish may have injuried himself by bumping his eye on a rock etc and causing trauma...

That is a small portion of what i have gleaned off that website researching some of my own fish-eyeball problems....

HTH

Redrover
08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Colin was at the store a couple weeks ago, I was in the fish room with Mike and Josh, they had a fish in one of the sumps treating it. I believe Mike said it had something wrong with it's eye. What ever it was it was clearing up, so maybe give Mike a shout.
Laterrrrrrrr:onfire:

Reefer Rob
08-26-2007, 05:51 AM
If the fish is eating and swimiming well I would just leave it for a couple of days and see what happens. Likely it will clear up on it's own.

shelleyr
08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I have had good luck using epsom salts on a yellow tang. It was only one eye, started out cloudy and then popped. He was healthy and eating. So did a water change and added Epsom salts as recommended on several sites. Used 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and repeated 1/2 dose on day 3. This was in a full reef tank and did not affect anything adversely and the tang improved. Just watch salinity. (I believe they talk about this on wetweb too).

untamed
08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I just went through this with my Achillies Tang. One eye looked like it was going to blow out of his head! I did nothing. It has taken about 10 days now and the eye looks almost the same as the other eye now. Looks like there is going to be a full recovery and I didn't do anything.