PDA

View Full Version : Need advice and direction

Jack
01-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Ok, for my sump configuration I am planning on using:

CPR CS120 1400 GPH Siphon Overflow from JL 169$

Now the tricky part, making a good choice for a return pump. I am so confused. You guys are the only ones that have used different pumps, so you can tell me what you reccomend.

My options:

Gen-X Mak4 1000 gph @ 5'head 269$

Little Giant 4MDQX-SC(is that the flow or pressure one?) 900 gph @ 10' head 244.95

Mag 24 2400 gph 229.95

Now, your help would be apreciated. From my view the Mag looks like the way to go. It is the cheapest and even at half of the GPH that would be 1200 gph. I don't know how much it drops with the head pressure so... But I would love some input.

My head, aprox. 6' feet

StirCrazy
01-23-2002, 08:14 PM
I just pulled out my sheet for my magdrive 12 and @ 5' of head it is reated at just over 1100gph so I imagin the magdrive 24 would be your most powerfull out of the 3.

Steve

Aquattro
01-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Jack, what size tank did you have? I use a MAG 12 for my 75g return and it's fine. Cost is about $149. If your tank is bigger, you could go with the MAG 18. I like the AMG pumps because they are submersible.

titus
01-23-2002, 08:57 PM
Hello,

I have the catalogue and pricing on these so here the info:

Model @5ft @10ft Amps
Mag 24 1800 1300 3.00
Mag 18 1200 850 1.50
Mag 12 1120 600 1.50
Mag 9.5 750 400 1.33

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Titus ]</p>

Jack
01-23-2002, 09:01 PM
hey guys, thanks. mag 12 with 1000 GPH @ 5' head is impressive. thanks for looking that up. i was going to ask if one of you had the charts for the mags. I have a 120 gallon tank and will be putting in a 30 gallon sump.

Jack
01-23-2002, 09:03 PM
hey titus, i didnt see your message before i replyed. a mag 18 would be perfect. Thanks a lot titus. that is so awesome.

Canadian
01-23-2002, 09:12 PM
I don't want to be an alarmist or anything, and I certainly don't want to take say anything to take away any business from J&L, but CPR overflows have one helluva a bad reputation for losing syphon. Go on ReefCentral or Reefs.org and you'll see that they're not even close to one of the most reliable overflow boxes designed.

Lifereef makes quality, well designed overflow boxes, and if memory serves me correctly that's what Bruce (Silverfish) has on his tank. He modified the drain on it with a Stockman overflow to quieten down the inherent noise of overflowing water, but as far as I know he's never had a problem with the overflow (other than the fact that they're kind of large and obtrusive, but so is every other hang on overflow.)

In addition, the black acrylic on the CPR overflows is a good idea in theory, however, most of the people I've talked to who had the black models regretted purchasing them because the black acrylic makes it difficult to see if there's anything obstructing the flow of water.

Also, are you including friction loss in your calculation of head pressure? All of those pumps have their pro's and con's. MAG pumps add an appreciable amount of heat to the water column whether submerged or plumbed in line. Little Giant pumps are just about the noisiest pump you can buy, and the Gen-X pump is fan cooled, which may make them a little noisy (less so than the Little Giant), but you'll be happy it runs cooler when summer rolls around. Dollar for dollar the MAG pumps are probably the best bet, but if it was me, I'd be tempted to go with the Gen-X (although it doesn't match up well with the flow rate of the overflow you're intending to buy, but if you change your mind about the overflow then the flow rates may match up better.)

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Canadian ]</p>

Jack
01-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Thats the exact same way i felt about the black plastic too, I think it's retarded. You can't even see if there are bubbles building up inside either. I live on the island, way up here where the stores don't even have any saltwater stuff. I was thinking about building my own DIY overflow, maybe with the help and advice of Lee, but I thought the CPR overflows would be the safe bet... guess im wrong. Still a tough decision.

The thing is, is that I can't shop around living here. So JL is an online store and I can browse easily. If you can point me in a direction to find other overflows, by all means, do it.

Canadian
01-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Bruce bought his Lifereef overflow online directly from Lifereef I believe. I'll go dig up the URL for you, and maybe if Bruce sees this thread he can let you know what the price came to after paying the exchange rate, duty, etc. If he doesn't see it then I'll be sure to ask him and let you know.

Canadian
01-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Here ya go Jack:

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

You'll see that Lifereef also uses black acrylic, but they do so on the outside box so your view of the flow isn't obstructed.

titus
01-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Hello,

Holy smokes. I was here only like a short while ago and now there's like 5 or 6 posts already.

Anyway no problem Jack. If you want the Mag let me know. I don't like the other two because they are noisy and the flow rate is just up to par.

As for the CPR. Um ... um... I'm actually using one also. I'm using the clear one and have no problem for the entire 2 years or so I have been using it. I don't see how it may lose siphon, since I have a Maxi-Jet venturi intake line connected to it. The theory is that yes, things may get stuck in that line but so far nothing has happened yet. I do agree on not getting the black acrylic part.

My decision on the CPR is straight forward. The Lifereef one is easy to build. Heck I think I can do it too but the CPR is just more elegant and compact.

I wonder how much it'd cost to buy the Lifereef and have it ship up here. Maybe I can just build you one and send both the overflow and pump over.

Canadian
01-23-2002, 10:01 PM
The biggest problem with the CPR overflows is that you have to use a pump to maintain syphon...that's just one more thing to potentially go wrong -- KISS principle in action here. For example, if the power goes out and for some reason the pump impeller doesn't start spinning again (happens from time to time), you're SOL. The nice thing about the Lifereef being large is that it easily enables you to put a Stockman standpipe in the last box.

Jack, if Titus can make you a Lifereef replica with the exact same dimensions and specifications, then that's probably you're best bet, cuz it's sure to work out to cost less.

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Canadian ]</p>

Jack
01-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey titus, i know. i didnt expect 6-10 relplys in an hour, its great. And thanks for the link, im just checking it out now. I got your Private message titus, it was the quiet one pump you quoted me for. Im sure the CPRs are good, its the black plastic that makes us a little paranoid i guess, with bubble build up and all. That would be great if you could put a siphon/pump deal for me Titus. I have no problems with that images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Let me know what you think titus. Oh, another thing. I would like to know how much in total for that lifereef overflow. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks a lot guys!

Silverfish
01-24-2002, 12:09 AM
Jack, I got my Lifereef overflow from Lifereef, just as Andrew said and I am quite happy with it. I wish the tank was drilled tho. I threw out/ lost my recipt from Lifereef, but I think it cost me about $50 or $60 for shipping and duty etc. About $200 in total when the smoke cleared.

It works fine, but when I hooked up Meighans 15g to my system, and saw how quick and easy drilling a tank/ building an overflow box for the inside is, I would do it no other way. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jack
01-24-2002, 01:48 AM
Oh I know, drilling IS the way to go. But with 10 square feet of 1/2inch glass on the line... I opt for an overflow box. Titus is going to make me an overflow for slightly cheaper than 200 and I'm sure it will be great quality. Seems like he knows what he's doing. Thanks guys for all the help so quick, you guys rock.

Titus you have a PM...