PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer help . Micro bubbles

cav~firez22
08-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got a new ASM G2 from HiddenReef.

I am having some troubles, as usual, with getting it working properly. It would seem to me that my sump requires 1 more chamber, however, this is all i have so it will have to. What i am having troubles with is... Micro Bubbles. Anyone know any hints to setting these up properly. THis is the first in sump skimmer i have used so i have ... well no clue really.

thanx

digital-audiophile
08-24-2007, 02:19 AM
I run a coralife super skmiier and they are horrible for micro bubbles. I just use a really small micron filter sock on the output to catch the bubbles.

Redrover
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM
If it's a new skimmer it will take a while to break in...use a sock on the end of the overflow pipe. Once it's broke in, I only use the sock for a couple of days after a water change...the pod's help to feed the seahorses in the refugium

SuperFudge
08-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Some ideas,

-Make sure skimmers output is placed at the furthest possible from your main systems pump intake.

And if your in moddin mode :)

-Tee the output at your desired water line within the skimmer(keep the top vented) and direct this back to the first chamber/s of the sump.
You may have to lift the skimmer a little to get them over baffle hieghts to do this...not too much, the skimmers own pump may have to be lowered to accomodate.

Even better directed back into a micron sock.

-direct the main systems pump intake to a portion of the sump that has the least bubbles.
If an external pump, this needs to be some internal sump plumbing from the bulkhead in.
No need to glue these, just dry fit them and try them out until they work.

- Make sure where the strainer is on the pump intake that the water isnt whirlpooling there on the surface.

Snappy
08-25-2007, 04:09 AM
The filter socks work really well to eliminate bubbles.

LeeR
08-25-2007, 04:27 AM
i got a ASM mini G a while ago and it took about a week for it to break in and now i have no problems with micro bubbles.

cav~firez22
08-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Some ideas,

-Make sure skimmers output is placed at the furthest possible from your main systems pump intake.

And if your in moddin mode :)

-Tee the output at your desired water line within the skimmer(keep the top vented) and direct this back to the first chamber/s of the sump.
You may have to lift the skimmer a little to get them over baffle hieghts to do this...not too much, the skimmers own pump may have to be lowered to accomodate.

Even better directed back into a micron sock.

-direct the main systems pump intake to a portion of the sump that has the least bubbles.
If an external pump, this needs to be some internal sump plumbing from the bulkhead in.
No need to glue these, just dry fit them and try them out until they work.

- Make sure where the strainer is on the pump intake that the water isnt whirlpooling there on the surface.

Thanks Marc.

Im sure you built my sump for me... at least i was under that impression.
The main systems intake has an 90 degree elbow that aims to bottom corner of the tank.

I made a temp weir in the sump by putting some of that coralife 100 micron matting across. when running the pump full bore, it actually catches a lot of stuff.

I'm always in modding mode. where would the fun be in this hobby if we just left everything alone?????

How does that gate valve mod work for these skimmers?? I seen it around on the net, and notice its just a few pieces of PVC, with a ball valve.

what size is the output of the G2? i may just play around with it...

I got rid of the bubbles, I think it was adam or colin who said to put a sump sock over the output, i did, zapstraped it down, and no more bubbles.. It did however, make it pull darker, greener, sicker lookin skimmate thought :)