PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer/sump advice

mseepman
08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I currently have a 70 Gallon mixed tank without a sump. I use a "very crappy" Prizm HOB skimmer that does little to nothing for the tank. Amazingly enough, the tank is healthy and has been from its inception in Feb06.

I am in the process of building myself a 20gal sump and need some advice on a skimmer. I have all the equipment other than the skimmer on its way already. The sump will be under the tank in the stand, so I have limited height availability. As I am building the sump myself, I have some control over the space in the tank for the skimmer and though I would like it to be an in-line version, I could live with another HOB if needed. My budget is $425 or less before taxes.

Lastly, I am working on plans for a larger tank...210 to 300gal for the new house that I will be starting to build in the New Year. I would like to have the option to use the new skimmer for that tank but it isn't a firm requirement.

Advice on specific models and where to buy them would be appreciated.

Mark.

findingnemo1
08-24-2007, 12:29 AM
HI there.

We had a 130 and when we downgraded to our 90 is when we gave up our remora pro. Ended up with e Euroreef rs250 and wow what a great skimmer. We got a great deal on it from this site and we couldn't be happier. Although we are now overskimming this poor tank but hey better over than under:)

asmodeus is selling a modded rs that is a great deal. I see that it was posted yesterday!!!

albert_dao
08-24-2007, 03:06 AM
If you get a chance to design around it, the Bubblemaster series are some of the best price/performance skimmers out there right now. If you have the budget, go straight for the Bubble King's! They're in the same price range as Deltec's, Schuran's and other high-end skimmers now.

Skimmerking
08-24-2007, 03:20 AM
that is why Im selling my euro reef 250 i bought a ATI BM 250:redface: and just sold my 65 gal tank with stand and my dual beckett with mak 5 to ease on the price:lol: ya who am I kidding

Redrover
08-24-2007, 03:24 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0253-2.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/P1000246-1.jpg

All glass 120, with custom back overflow...Main pump is a Dart, that also feeds an integrated Refugium...in sump H/S Skimmer...Vortech Pump
Tunze Wave Box:rocol:

mseepman
08-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Wow, you did a fantastic job plumbing that...do you have more picture from some other angles to show how you plumbed it? Which H/S skimmer is that?

mseepman
08-24-2007, 05:23 AM
If you get a chance to design around it, the Bubblemaster series are some of the best price/performance skimmers out there right now. If you have the budget, go straight for the Bubble King's! They're in the same price range as Deltec's, Schuran's and other high-end skimmers now.

Thanks Albert...I would love to do the Bubblemaster but I want to stay married. I have my first child on the way, so I think I'll have to settle for a little while with something that just does a good job.

albert_dao
08-24-2007, 05:26 AM
What's your price range?

Edit: Duh, just read your first post :D

Edit #2: The Bubble Master 160 is $499...

Edit #3: Within that price range, I'd consider the Euro Reef RS 135 at $375. Don't bother mesh modding it or anything, as the Sedra it comes with won't see any significant boost in air intake. This is a GOOD skimmer and I run several of them myself.

Redrover
08-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Sump..Refugium..Plumbing was done by a buddy Marc [Superfudge ]
Skimmer is a H/S single pump...don't have model #

Redrover
08-24-2007, 05:56 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0041.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0042.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0043.jpg
This is all that I have at present time :rainbow1:
As you see I have added two more pieces equipment...Elect cords...tubing...this weekend I'll get with it and straighten inside the cabinet..I don't like stuff hanging everywhere.

Eqiupment : Deltec Fluidised Bed Calcium Reactor...Red Sea Aquazone Plus 200

Redrover
08-24-2007, 06:35 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/SKimmer025.jpg

Marc's [ "SuperFudge " ] skimmer...When it comes to this hobby if he has a idea, he does just that, build it.:robot:

Captainhemo
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Although the skimmers suggested are good/great models, you may find them a little large for a small sump (20 gal) with height restrictions.
The EuroReef RS135 has a 7" x 8" base x 24" tall . You might want to look at the Tunze DOC 9010/9015 models. They seem to be the smallest skimmers (4.5"x5" footprint x 17 tall) in this class. There are a couple of people in this forum that are running them and seem to be very happy with them They also fall in your price range. Have heard that the ratings are generous, probably done with a light bio-load.

mseepman
08-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks Captainhemo, I agree that the three you suggested look right for the job. I would love the skimmer to be usable in my future tank if possible so I'm taking an extra long look at my options.

I have put feelers out on the new Aquamedic Blue T-3000. It's available in Europe and has gotten very good reviews. Their site says it's available in North America now too. I've enquired at their dealers and we'll have to see what comes back.

albert_dao
08-25-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm always a little cautious about the AquaMedic products...

Perhaps someone else would like to chime in for me on that one since my opinion is a little biased :D

*Calling Greg or Steve to the stands maybe?

Edit: Wow, I just looked that thing up.. It is FUGLY!!! :P I'd say Tunze.

Captainhemo
08-25-2007, 05:54 PM
The Tunze's are also supposed to be relatively economical to run.
For small sumps with restricted spcae/height there isn't a whole lot of skimmers to choose from. I haven't looked at the Aquamedic Blue T-3000, will have to check it out.

mseepman
08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Haha...Albert, you are right, it's not the prettiest around, but I think it would serve my needs both in this tank and possibly the next. Reviews are good too.

I would be really interested in some other opinions on Aquamedic though if anyone wants to chime in.