PDA

View Full Version : Dead Coral and Fishes in Saltwater

Pier Pressure
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I have been reading about a few deaths in the hobby lately and I am wondering about something.

If a coral dies - do you leave the skeleton in the tank or remove it? What are the pros/cons of each option?

If a fish dies - and I have had this happen - and goes missing - how come the dead body does not ruin the water chemistry? I know it would in freshwater which I have a lot more experience with.

People seem to have trouble with livestock simply "disappearing" in saltwater and I am wondering why it does not foul up the systems.

Thanks for any replies!

Der_Iron_Chef
08-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I think it does "foul up" our systems, to a degree. It's just our ability to counteract and control such foul ups/fluctuations that makes the difference.

ReefJunkie
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
As far as fish dying, I think the key here is cleanup crew, my hermits and shrimp devour anything that dies, be it a snail or a fish. So there is no rotting corpse to foul up the water

Pier Pressure
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
That makes sense. What about corals? I know all that is left usually is a white skeleton which I believe is made out of calcium. Should they be removed or left in as a calcium supplement? My clean up crew seems to like the skeletons, too!

Moogled
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Algae ends up covering dead coral skeletons anyway.

Delphinus
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I think you'd find that a dead coral skeleton just reminds you a nice coral you used to have, so you end up pulling it out. Some people do use dead corals as calcium reactor media ... why not, the stuff it's made out is the same stuff the live corals want to use so they can grow, so it's all good that way.

marie
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I think you'd find that a dead coral skeleton just reminds you a nice coral you used to have, so you end up pulling it out. Some people do use dead corals as calcium reactor media ... why not, the stuff it's made out is the same stuff the live corals want to use so they can grow, so it's all good that way.
Unless the skeleton has neat sponges/things on it, then I bury it under the rock work in the back of the tank :razz:

Redrover
08-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I think somewhere along the way they're also called a sea slug...me thinks...just a guess :confused:

Sorry should have been in the thread...sea hare

Pier Pressure
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I guess I will not worry so much about not being able to find Nemo then. I have a cleanup crew plus a couple of cleaner shrimp so that solves that mystery.

As to the corals ... very interesting ... how is it that everything in saltwater is so very interesting? :biggrin: