PDA

View Full Version : LFS "advice".

fishytime
08-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Was just reading about this in another post and it prompted me to post this.I was at a lfs on the weekend looking for a suitable fish for my 20g reef.I was hum-in and ha-in over what to get when the lfs dude asked if I needed any help. So I explained to him that I had a 20g reef that has a clown(ocellaris), Six line, and a royal gramma. Told him I kinda wanted something that was blue and reef safe and he steered me toward a tank full of powder blue (I think) tangs(2"). I told him that I didnt think that a tang would be a good fit and he tried for about a minute to get me to buy the tang. Now, this is supposed to be one of the better stores in town. It really burns me when a store that you are supposed to be able to trust dishes out the "this is what we need to sell" advice instead of "the you know we dont have anything for you at the moment" advice that I should have received. Now if I had been a complete newb(which he obviously took me for) I would have a blue tang in my 20. Its to bad I had nothing bad at all to say about this store before this.

michika
08-23-2007, 02:44 AM
That is too bad, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I hope you are able to find a suitable small blue fish!

fishytime
08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Thought damsel for a little while there, but one thing kept going through my head:twised: Thought maybe I would roll the dice with a cherub angel.

Skimmer Juice
08-23-2007, 03:22 AM
You should look for a small lyeirtale goby I got a really cool blue one. He is about 2 inches full grown, and is out and active all the time.

Zylumn
08-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Doug I think most places in town know you and understand your level of commitment to knowledge in this reef hobby. I am surprised a salesperson felt you wouldn't be offended over inappropriate advice.
This last week I went to a couple LFS's and thought to myself it would be nice if you went into a LFS and they had a computer and internet , or a fish data base you could use. I go in and see a fish and wonder if it would be compatible in my setup and have no way of immediately knowing except from a salesperson that wants you to buy that fish. Now do I want to go home, look it up, drive back and buy it???.
Well just me rambling on.
Kevin

Der_Iron_Chef
08-23-2007, 04:00 AM
That's a great idea, Kevin. Or at least a few good reference books, eh?

EmilyB
08-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Please PM me with the details, it's important to know. :biggrin:

Chaloupa
08-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Kevin...I think that is one of the best ideas I've heard...I don't know how many times I have been to a reef shop in Vancouver (I live on Vancouver Island) LOVE a fish but can't get good info on it...until I find an internet cafe, or have one in the hotel I am staying at...then go back to get it the next day and ... it's gone...I'd love to see an internet terminal in an LFS...that would be sooo very cool! Even if I had to put in a buck or something to help with the cost...it would be cool with me! My husband would be sooo much happier hearing he doesn't need to buy me a nice Mac laptop!:lol: Although, I could use it!

sorry that was a bit off topic......

CST
08-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Question for those in Calgary who know the stores...
I lived their 5 years or so ago, (and only got more brave and started with a 65 gal salt when I moved here) I know where some of the fish stores are, but can anyone sugest trustworthy LFS's that I can check out on my way through on the 26th and Sept 3rd?
Much appreciated :smile:

fishytime
08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Golds, Elite Aquatics and Wais Aquarium. IMO the three best stores in town.

christyf5
08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Kevin...I think that is one of the best ideas I've heard...I don't know how many times I have been to a reef shop in Vancouver (I live on Vancouver Island) LOVE a fish but can't get good info on it...until I find an internet cafe, or have one in the hotel I am staying at...then go back to get it the next day and ... it's gone...I'd love to see an internet terminal in an LFS...that would be sooo very cool! Even if I had to put in a buck or something to help with the cost...it would be cool with me! My husband would be sooo much happier hearing he doesn't need to buy me a nice Mac laptop!:lol: Although, I could use it!

sorry that was a bit off topic......

I used to take my scott michaels 500 marine fish pocketbook with me when I went to van. That way I could just look it up :biggrin:

Pan
08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Doug I think most places in town know you and understand your level of commitment to knowledge in this reef hobby. I am surprised a salesperson felt you wouldn't be offended over inappropriate advice.
This last week I went to a couple LFS's and thought to myself it would be nice if you went into a LFS and they had a computer and internet , or a fish data base you could use. I go in and see a fish and wonder if it would be compatible in my setup and have no way of immediately knowing except from a salesperson that wants you to buy that fish. Now do I want to go home, look it up, drive back and buy it???.
Well just me rambling on.
Kevin
Every LFS that I have visited in Calgary, Golds, Ocean City and Wai's all let me use one of the reference books they sell to look something up in, sometimes grudingly though. Every store I've ever been to has its moments of good and bad. Just as well as everyone has had dead fish, poor advice, ich outbreaks, flatworm outbreaks etc. While not excusing what they did I'm not surprised. Maybe he was new :) to the store as an employee (oh there is the straw..i'm trying to ..whats the word...grasp at it...) Aquarium Illusions has a couple of dog eared, cover worn out reference books they keep around (been there a few times only though). Every store i've been to has had something come in they have no idea what it is. I frequented several shops in the US when I was down there for school, everyone had an internet kiosk setup to look at fish/corals etc.. most times pointed at marinedepot or livequaria. Yep I ranted a bit..sorry. I should have introduced myself now that I have thrown off lurker status for the shining light that comes with userhood..(word?) too bad I only have one small tank left.

albert_dao
08-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I have lots of referrence books and internet access if anyone is curious.

CST
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the store names fishytime. Ive been in Wais before, but will be looking up the others.:biggrin:
Cheers.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I think Red Coral and Ocean City also deserve a look-see.

CST
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmm, maybe I should just spend holidays in Calgary instead of going to Sask to visit family....:lol:

albert_dao
08-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I think Red Coral and Ocean City also deserve a look-see.

Which basically accounts for all the SW stores in Calgary Drew, :P

ponokareefer
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
In my experience with LFS's, if I don't know a lot about something and like it, they try to get me to take it out of the door with me, regardless of whether or not it will work. This isn't the case all the time and with all LFS's, but it has become more of the norm than a strange occurance. With how much I spend, and most of us on here by the sounds of it, you would think they would try to take better care of their customers. In my line of business, repeat customers are what makes your business, not the customers that are their once and then gone.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Which basically accounts for all the SW stores in Calgary Drew, :P

lol, I know! I like to be thorough ;)

Pier Pressure
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Golds gives me about the best advice I have found. They are extremely honest about what is compatible. One LFS sold me two different anemones at different times. I had the GBTA first, and when I asked if the white sebae would be okay with it, I was told yes, they would do fine together.

Well then I found out about chemical warfare and stuff too late. I have not seen the GBTA for days and think it must have died. Cost me over $60 while the sebae only cost me about $25. Very frustrating.

Ralzzz
08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm new on Can-reef and work at Red Coral
we have reference books beside the register for you to use and your welcome to look something up on our computer to help you make a decision
Ryley