PDA

View Full Version : pfo 400 watt ballast and 20k radiums

chwkreefer
01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
I haven't checked with John or Allan at J&L Aquatics yet, but I thought I would ask you guys first. Anyone know for sure if the pfo standard 400 watt ballast will work well with the 20k radiums that J&L sells?

TIA
Bill

StirCrazy
01-04-2003, 12:11 AM
It will be rather blue.. the Son Agro is in my opinion a better choice.. (it is the same as the PFO 400 watt HQI ballast)

If you look in the picture forum the pic of Reef_rafs tank he posted yesterday is using the son agro ballasts

Steve

Doug
01-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Bill, when I ran a 400w-20K Radium on my normal PFO system it was identical to the 400w-12K Sunburst. On my Bluewave pulse starts, they are at least twice as bright and as Steve mentioned, even brighter on HQI ballasts.

chwkreefer
01-04-2003, 02:39 AM
I know there probably has been a lot of past discussion on this topic. But if some of you wouldn't mind, could you tell me what is the most recommended ballast for the radiums?

So far based on what has been said, if I am correct, the radiums will work with the regular PFO ballast but the intensity is somewhat compromised and so the bulb will not appear as bright and but will appear more blue than with the ballast of choice. Correct? (boy that was a long sentence, I'll have to catch my breath)

Bill

chwkreefer
01-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Is the Son Agro the ballast of choice? if so where in the Lower Mainland can they be purchased and what do they cost?

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 03:27 AM
Hmmm, depends who you talk to.... I understand that Osram recomends the M135 ballast for their Radium bulbs. PFO recommends their HQI (Son Agro). They will run on a regular M59 (plain PFO), but will be bluer and may have starting problems down the road. They also run nice on the blueline E- ballast (big bucks).
I have seen them on all of these ballasts, and for me, the Son Agro are the nicest. Again, this is my opinion. You ideally need to see all and make up your own mind.
The M135 is available from Saltwaterconection.com. The PFO HQI is available from J&L, but a dual ballast is $419 +cords. The Son Agros cost me $86 ea. for the bare ballasts, and I screwed them into my existing case. I can get you a source for these if you need one.

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 03:40 AM
Just noticed you're in Sardis...Tim at Seacare has a Radium running on a blueline e-ballast. Very similar to the Son Agro look. You might want to go there and have a see...

stephane
01-04-2003, 04:29 AM
I use the son agro and it is the best IMO