PDA

View Full Version : Gbta

Snappy
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Any idea what would make my anemone flouress like this? From a top down birds eye view it almost seems to glow in places.:biggrin: I think I like it.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/aug_22_07_014glow_2.jpg

Pier Pressure
08-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Show off! Just kidding, Greg. Great shot! I am sure your top-of-the-line water quality has something to do with it.

Redrover
08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
That's just boo-t-full...What kind :rocol:

Delphinus
08-22-2007, 11:04 PM
I think it's your actinic or at least your bluer halides, Greg. Anemones tend to look wicked cool with actinics.

I must say though, that this is a particularly pretty morph that you have, which of course helps too, since some individuals have more (and different) pigmentation than others. :cool:

Redrover, it's a Entacmaea quadricolor or "BTA" (bubble-tip anemone). Note that the common name implies that they always have bubble-tipped tentacles, which in captivity in particular is not always the case. The typical scenario is that they have them for a year or so and then become elongated from there on. But sometimes a lighting change will trigger the bubbles to come back, or sometimes they just come and go on their own. It's not really known why or how the changes happen.

digital-audiophile
08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
My one BTA tends to gain and lose it's bubble tips on a daily basis, I don't get it.

On a side note, if that BTA ever splits and you are looking for a home I would gladly take it off your hands ;) :p It is a truly magnificent specimen. Where ever did you find it?

Snappy
08-23-2007, 12:46 AM
I am sure your top-of-the-line water quality has something to do with it.
More likely the shock of being dosed with run off from our leaking dishwasher located directly above the tank.:razz:
Or maybe it's from the clownfish feeding it the odd piece of coral it steals or the fact that when a fish dies and I find it, it gets fed to the anenome.

This GBTA has been very bubbley from day one and never elongated, at least not yet(touch wood). I believe I got it in Mar 06 and it has always had good colour but lately it went like it shows in the picture.

Tony,
I don't have any actinics and the 2x 20k 150w bulbs are dwarfed by the 3x 250 10k's so I don't think the bluer lighting is making it doing it. Also notice that it flouresses from the tenticle's base, so if it was a kelvin issue I would think that would show more on the tips. Who knows?

Anyway some things just tend to morph out in bizzare ways in my system and I thought this particular scenario was kind of cool so I decided to share. I also hoped for some theories on the cause as I havn'e ever seen that before. Thanks Tony I do appreciate your theory and since you have way more knowledge about anemones than I do, who knows, you might be on to something.:wink:

Delphinus
08-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Won't 20k's, at least good 20k's will produce the same effect as actinic? (Maybe not to the same degree, but still, some effect?) But, OTOH maybe it's just an electric green. :) Curious, what happens when you turn the 20k's off? Looks the same?

Although I guess it's maybe not the explanation *here* I do still stand by my claim that most anemones look pretty cool under actinics. :lol:

Snappy
08-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Yes it looks pretty much the same with the 20k's off. And yes you're right, a lot of things look cool under actinic lighting.:wink:

Pan
08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
My one BTA tends to gain and lose it's bubble tips on a daily basis, I don't get it.

On a side note, if that BTA ever splits and you are looking for a home I would gladly take it off your hands ;) :p It is a truly magnificent specimen. Where ever did you find it?

I read an article, I believe on wetweb or something similar that no one can seem to figure out why some keep and some lose and why some do both with regards to their bubble tips. Seems that green do it more then red also. No one seems to know...like a lot in this hobby :) I have a RBTA that had one side bubbled all nice an photogenic they other half looked well...eew for lack of a better word. Lived for 4 years so i know it was healthy, split a few times and all the others we not bubbled at all.

Sheesh remind me to read Delphinus already said basically everything i said.