PDA

View Full Version : 30 bow is FINALLY up and running.

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Just had to share some pics, none of my real life friends could care less about the time and planning this took.
Would love some constructive criticism and suggestions from fellow reefers.
I have 2 clowns, a clown goby, a bunch of astraea, red striped and clumsy snails, there is a banded coral shrimp, an electric blue hermit with some regular blue legged hermits and some zebra hermits as well and a royal gramma who hides until dinner and then hides again (useless...lol) along with a bunch of corals I bought in an aquapod and moved into here.
I have an xp1 for extra volume and flow, it's stuffed with LR to the brim though, their is a red sea prizm skimmer and a korelia 2 powerhead as well. No heater, my appt seems to be the ideal ambient temp for the size of tank I have and the coralife cf 50/50 65watt seems to be enough light so far.
thanks for taking a minute to look.
Kennedy.

mr_alberta
08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Looks like a good start, but I would kill all that aiptaisia before it spreads even more.

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
I love the way they look though....lol.
any reccomendations on removal method?
cheers.

christyf5
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Heh the first couple look neat but then after they turn into hundreds and kill all your other stuff they're not so neat.

I've had success with Joes Juice, I just slowly squirt it nearby the aiptasia moving in closer as I squirt so that it actually "eats" the stuff. Other people have had success with a concentrated kalk solution.

One thing about "treating" these things, just do a couple at a time, especially in a smaller tank. The release of the joes or Kalk can overwhelm a smaller tank (IMO) so I would just do a couple every few days with maybe a water change in between.

Perhaps someone that has treated them in a smaller tank can chime in here with their experiences.:biggrin:

Parker
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I have had success with boiling water and a syringe. You have to be pretty quick to stick it before it retracts, but it seems to have worked for me.

fishface
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I have had success with boiling water and a syringe. You have to be pretty quick to stick it before it retracts, but it seems to have worked for me.works for me as well but i've got a bit of a "twist". after i've roasted the aptaisia and the syringe is empty, i suck the rest of the tissue into the syringe. less chance of it coming back to haunt you.

christyf5
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
works for me as well but i've got a bit of a "twist". after i've roasted the aptaisia and the syringe is empty, i suck the rest of the tissue into the syringe. less chance of it coming back to haunt you.

ooh good one! :biggrin:

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I have some joes juice kicking around so I will try that, when that runs out, the boiling water method sounds like it's worth a shot and pretty economical.
The other thing that just occured to me is when I bought alot of this LR from anthony (seahorsefanatic) he mentioned that a spraydown with white vinegear works very well but it slipped my mind until just now. I am assuming that vineagar in a syringe would work just as well....
he has not led me astray so far so I think I have a pretty good arsenal here.....
thanks alot guys.

michika
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I've done lemon juice in a syringe with no problems. It works really well when your able to stick their stalks. They also bloat and turn purple a few moments after you've gotten them.

Delphinus
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Apparently it's time for some new friends too! :p

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
easy there big fella, we just met.
:wink:

Delphinus
08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey I ain't offering. :lol: Just bugging you about this:

none of my real life friends could care less about the time and planning this took.

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
cheers.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
LOL.

Looks good so far! I like the aquascaping.

Whatigot
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I have moved things around a little and killed ALOT of the aiptasia, I used joes juice and man does that stuff work....
I will post some better pics soon (those last were taken with my camera phone which is only 2mp) and we can see what I need to do next....lol.
thanks alot guys....

Whatigot
09-03-2007, 04:25 AM
And so the aiptasia battle continues....
tried hot water, worked half decent, joes juice is the real killer though...great results...
Took a couple better pics with a real non phone camera...