PDA

View Full Version : Reef Creatures Resiliency (long story)

Zylumn
08-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Story:

As some of you know I have a 220g tank in my garage that I am cooking about 180lbs of LR and about 80 lbs of base rock. I have had it there since last fall waiting for renovations to commence in my basement of my house. The LR was full of algae hence the cooking. Once last winter I came out to the garage to find my power out and the tank water at 53 F. It took me 4 heaters and a week to get it up to 65 F. This summer I have been wanting to do a rock clean and dip and a water change but it just didn't happen. Twice this summer I entered the garage to find the water temp. over the 90 F, not sure how many times when I didn't check.
Well Friday I swished and dipped all the rock in clean r/o water and cleaned the tank and changed the water.
In my swish water I found 2 live nsarrius snails, 7 rather large copepods, and a hairy beige crab ( the size of a quarter) and about 10 rather large crab claws.
Now after all I put this LR through it is still full of life. I was the last person to suspect anything alive and just goes to show the Resiliency of Reef Creatures.
Kevin

spencerC
08-22-2007, 06:22 AM
That IS pretty cool :surprise:

Delphinus
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I think it also goes to show that nothing gets rid of those hitch-hiker crabs!!!

Although it makes for a cool story, I suggest you try to catch that crab before you put the rock in your main display. He can live in your sump but crabs in general are not good news if you tend to like keeping the things you actually pay for. :neutral:

Zylumn
08-23-2007, 01:54 AM
The crab is in the sump. Will give to anyone who wants it (tough bugger).

EmilyB
08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
I'll take it, could become trigger food though....