PDA

View Full Version : Long tentacle plate coral

tweetysox
08-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi, I have a question regarding my plate coral. It used to open up beautifully everyday, for 3 days now it has been closed with no signs of it opening...is it dying? my water perams are good, the only thing i added new was an anemone which is on the opposite end of the tank. Could he just be P.O'd due to me putting the anemone in the tank? Please help.:sad:

michika
08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
May we please have some additional information? What exactly are you water parameters? Have you recently made any changes to your system, new bulbs, water change, etc. aside from the new anemone?

tweetysox
08-21-2007, 05:41 PM
my ph is normal, my nitrites are at 0 my nitrates are below 5 and have been for 2 months this has never affected my plate coral before. I only added the anemone on the weekend nothing else has changed. Just did my routine water change yesterday but he was closed for 3 days so i dont think this is the reason.

michika
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
What about your SG? What kind of lighting are you running? Have you seen any fish lurking around the plate coral? Was there any sort of recession or change before it started to close up?

christyf5
08-21-2007, 06:01 PM
You might want to run some carbon (ie. chemical warfare?).

tweetysox
08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
im running 2x65w pc lighting, no fish have been swimming near it i only have a clownfish and a velvet damsel in my tank. it just closed up one day and never opened. Christy says i should run carbon but for how long im new to this great hobby and have had no problems till now. If it was chemical warfare wouldnt it affect my hammer coral, brain coral, candycane or my umbrella mushroom corals? Do you all think it may be dying??

christyf5
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I would run carbon for a week or so, see if it helps. If not you'll have to look at other things. Can you post a pic of it? Do you see any tissue recession or is it just that you're not seeing the tentacles anymore?

Der_Iron_Chef
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I have a short tentacle plate, and it does the same thing periodically. It always expands again fully within 3-5 days, and eats like a pig. I'm not sure what the cause/reason is.

tweetysox
08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I dont see any recession i just dont see the tentacles anymore, But i will run carbon for a week and see what happens, hopefully this works. Thanks everyone for your quick reply i just dont want to lose this guy he is so beautiful when he is open. Ill let you know how this turns out.

tweetysox
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi all just an update on my plate coral, im running the carbon but im looking at my plate coral and all i see is his skeleton and its all white, you think he is DYING???? please help!!!!:sad: :sad:

christyf5
08-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, that ain't good, sounds like he's on his way out. Sorry to hear that.

Pier Pressure
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
So sorry to hear about this. I once lost five fish and three shrimp over a twelve hour period for no apparent reason so I know where you are coming from. It sounds like it is too far gone to save it now. If you are looking at the skeleton I would guess that is all that is left of your plate coral.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Leave the skeleton in your tank for a little while - watch how quickly it turns green... AFAIK, if it turns green quickly, you may have a phosphate problem... Experts?