PDA

View Full Version : Paticulate floating in tank

digital-audiophile
08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
So I am starting to get a little annoyed. I always seem to have particulate floating in my tank, I am fairly sure they are not microbubles, as my skimmer is in my fist sump chamber and flows into a filtersock and then over/under the baffles. I do not seem to see the same "matter" floating in the sump, but in the main tank it just always seems to be there. I do have a sand bed and a very active sleeper goby that is always mucnhing on the sand but I don't think that would be the cause of it.

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

Delphinus
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I have the same problem in my tanks, I'm always jealous when I see perfectly invisible water in other people's tanks. I think part of the problem is the sandbed. One thing you can try is a filter sock for mechanical filtration, it did make a difference for me when I went this way (I'm still going BB on the "next tank" just to see if that's the last step I'm missing). You can get 100 micron, 50 micron, and 20 micron filter bags; so those should help but bear in mind the smaller the holes - the more often you have to clean them. Cleaning is done by running it through the washing machine with bleach (I run it through a second cycle with just water just to be sure its good and rinsed). Might be something to look at, if you're not running one of these..

fishface
08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
got the same problem here, that's one of the reasons i've got a sleeper goby up for sale! he kicks up enough for the powerheads to blast it around the tank. filter sock helps a bit but is certainly no cure. it is very frustrating indeed and i feel you pain.

digital-audiophile
08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm glad I am not the only one with the problem :) Like Tony I alwasy see tanks with cyctal clear water and then I look at mine and get ****ed off.

I do have a filter sock on my skimmer and my drain line into the sump. I also have a small filter bag on the intake to my pump as a final catch for ay bubles from the sump so I was pretty confident that the sump wasn't causing me the trouble.

I am tempted to get rid of my sleeper but he does such a good job of keeping my sand white.