PDA

View Full Version : skimmer thing

sea gnome
01-23-2002, 12:31 AM
It's the gnome again, I need dimensions for a skimmer/protien thing (very technical) for the sump/refugium. Bruce, are you there?. Would I need one bigger than yours or not for a 90g and what size acrylic tubing do you use? Also if you diy it does anyone know how I can make the top chamber removable?

Does any of this make sense????

Rachel

Aquattro
01-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Rachel, have you decided on what you are going to end up keeping in this tank? For a mixed tank Bruce's size would be fine. If you are aiming really heavy on the SPS down the road, a bit bigger might be better. Bruce can give a better opinion on it's potential though.
To determine the size, first figure out where you would like to put it. If it's going in your sump, you'd size accordingly. If it's remote like Bruce's, you can make it any size you want.
Are you making this yourself? If so, I probably have the best price on 4 and 6 inch tubing. I bought a bunch and can let you have some at cost. Also, check the off cut bins at the acrylic shops for the flat pieces....they're a lot cheaper.
First thing though is to decide what kind of tank you want a year from now and build a skimmer for that....no sense making two images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

One_Divided
01-23-2002, 01:35 AM
I'd say bruce's skimmer would work very well for a 90.. Actually, me and bruce were discussing that his skimmer may be taking more out of the water then it needs to.

sea gnome
01-23-2002, 01:39 AM
Brad,
Definately interested in tubing and thanks for tip on cut offs. It will be remote and I would like soft and sps corals (well separated) at the moment. So bigger is probably better as I don't want to make two. Could you help me out with dimensions when I get the peices of tubing off you? Maybe Thrus????. Are you the one helping Bruce out with the calcium thing as well.

Could you E-mail your phone number?

Thanks

Aquattro
01-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Rachel, it'll be next weekend before I cut more tubing...can you wait that long? If not, we can work something out.
I'd be glad to help you plan the skimmer.
Not sure if I'm helping Bruce with calcium stuff...we kinda compare notes on our DIY reactors.
I am cutting up some acrylic for him to make a skimmer collection cup.
BTW, your email isn't in your profile..mine is, so email me and I'll give you my number.

Aquattro
01-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Adam, not a problem. I hooked a MAG 18 to the skimmer and it's working great now. I have to sneak into Hillside and get it back. I think Cora is becoming too acustomed to it <g>

StirCrazy
01-23-2002, 07:34 PM
hey Brad, I cut the plastic for my box so that I would end up with a box that is 8" wide X 12" long and 7" high. will that work good for what I want or do you think it is to big?,

oh we got a nice little plastic cutter at work that cuts it real nice but I can only do up to about 11.5" quickly (anything over I have to use a tape measure) on the table. took me about 4 minuits to cut 6 pieces to size.

Steve

Aquattro
01-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Steve, might be a bit on the large size. I'd probably go about 6w x 8l x 6h for the box. I think since you're just going with soft/LPS, we'll use a 4" reaction tube and 2-3/4 or 3" riser. Just figure out the height restrictions, if any.

One_Divided
01-24-2002, 04:57 AM
brad, I am starting a reactor soon so I'll be wanting to grab some of that tubing off of ya sooner or later.

how's the skimmer doin?