SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Tank busted on Sunday. Ouch!

fishoholic
08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Yikes!:eek:

fkshiu
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Yup, the very last thing you want to be doing at 6AM on a Sunday morning is dealing with a 120 gallon tank that is BLEEDING water from apparently no where.

This is what the tank used to look like:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/IMG_5261.jpg

By the time I found out, all 6 gallons or so that was left in the FW resevoir had been pumped out by the osmolator and the return chamber was down about 3 gallons. So I'm guessing 9 gallons or so found freedom.

Fortunately, the bottom of my stand is sealed with a waterproofing membrane so that caught much of the water. But it was full and the water had overflowed onto the laminate.

I had a choice of whether to safe the livestock or save the floors. I chose the livestock like any good reefer :)

So after creating makeshift dam around the tank with every available towel or piece of cloth I could find (including my pajamas) I set about draining the tank and moving everything to the sump, a 10 gallon and 25 gallon. Everybody's accounted for except for the abalone (he's probably in the big rubbermaid tub where I threw all the LR into).

I now know why SPS nanos are rare, I'm already having trouble maintaining water quality in the 10 gallon where all the SPS/clams are being housed. For light over the 10 gallon I'm using the 250w HQI with lumenmax reflector I was planning on setting up that very day!

My 5" hippo is doing OK for now in the 25 gallon.

The wife's been very understanding. She'd be a whole lot less understanding I hadn't had foam under the tank and the entire bottom pane had fallen out.

Anyone got a 6'x2' footprint tank FS?

michika
08-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Ouch! I'm glad your wife is so understanding.

christyf5
08-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, thats brutal :eek: Hope you can find a new tank quickly!

Der_Iron_Chef
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
OH man. That's so uncool :( Good luck finding a tank.

Rippin
08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. It's good that you had the foresight to build the stand as you did just in case of something like this.

Doug
08-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Wholley mackeral. How did it crack like that? I agree, good thing it was designed to hold water. Glad you saved the stock. I had to laugh at the thought of pj,s and everything going into the dam. But then, most of us have been there.

Is the tank framed and is the foam under the glass only or does the frame sit on the foam? Gives me the heebie-jeebies when looking at something like that and what can happen to our glass boxes full of water. I always used foam under my frameless tanks but not under a framed, as my current All-Glass.

scsi
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
As far as Wives (or husbands, for that matter) being understanding, a large degree of that dends on when the tank incident happened in relationship to the initial purchase.
I know for me after having spent... I dunno how many thousands of dollars
over the last 6 weeks, had that happened to me right now..... I'd be on the street

cav~firez22
08-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Man thats scarry, im also interested on what caused that? just the weight of the rocks? or did the tumble a bit and on smack the bottom...

sorry for your loss. but atleast you saved the fish.

Justusfish
08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Another example of why you made such a great choice in choosing your wife and how lucky you when she said yes!

Jason McK
08-22-2007, 02:28 AM
WOW I feel for you. Having had 2 tanks leak on me. It's not a fun experience.

Glad you were able to get your livestock out safely.

So when is the new tank arriving

J

fkshiu
08-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, I've had the fans going full out now since Sunday and the floor and stand actually look none the worse for wear (knock on wood - or laminate in the floor's case). Everything is also passing the sniff test for the telltale musty smell.

I believe that the floors are not warped despite all that water in part because much of the water went UNDER the laminate planks. How do I know this? While I was cleaning up Sunday I discovered a mysterious puddle of water a good 10 - 12 feet away from the tank under the stairs by the laundry room. It was steadily growing and did not appear to have a source. It was saltwater according to the refractometer and I eventually traced it to the wall that is shared with the rec room where the tank was. It seems that a river of water flowed under the floor down to where this puddle was.

Anyway, my theory on the cause is that I had a number of really heavy live rocks in there. We're talking 30-35 pounders here. I had used HDPE (a.k.a. plastic cutting boards) to spread the weight and protect the glass. I think that something must have shifted and a great amount of weight ended up pressed against one point on the glass. Lesson learned - cover the whole bottom with HDPE if going SSB or BB.

I was fortunate that I had the tank sitting on top of the foam which was in turn sitting on a sheet of plywood. I had briefly toyed with the idea of only using foam along the perimeter since that's where the frame of the tank would be transferring all the weight. I thought it would be neat to be able to look up through the bottom of a BB tank. Good thing that prudence and paranoia won the day. I'm pretty sure that the whole bottom pane would've given out without the foam/plywood.

After expert consultation with Seahorse_Fanatic, I'm probably going to order a 72x24x19 tank from Seastar (the cracked one was a custom 72x24x16 - very weird size). I have a low ceiling in the basement and built the stand higher for the old stumpy tank so I am limited in what I can replace it with. A standard 180 gallon (72x24x24) would leave precious little ceiling clearance.

Oh well, stay tuned for a reef re-birth thread in the tank journal section and RIP to the tank that I affectionately called the "coffin" (which the wife now wants to use for a planter).

Bryan
08-22-2007, 04:48 AM
How thick was the bottom pane ?, I doubt very much the rock caused the break. Even stranger is the fact you have styrofoam underneath, which should have compensated for any irregularity in the stand.

spencerC
08-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Okay so I'm getting my first SW tank this week (75 gal) and this has got me a bit worried.
My tank will be in the basement on stand -> laminate -> concrete.
What measures can i take to assure this doesn't happen to me?:sad:

fkshiu
08-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Not sure how thick the bottom pane is. The tank's out in the shed and it's too late to head out there with a ruler. I cannot think of what else could have caused the crack, especially with the foam underneath. I took great pains when building to stand to have it perfectly flat and level. I even had a new concrete base poured on top of the uneven foundation to ensure level. On top of that I used an isolation membrane to negate any shifting due to the new concrete curing. On top of that I used porcelain tile for its greater strength over ceramic. In other words, it could not have been what was under the tank.

spencerC, I would not be too concerned about this occuring to you as long as:
1. the stand is properly built and level
2. you use foam underneath
3. you use HDPE plastic to protect the bottom pane of glass.

Buddyboy
08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your tank woes fkshiu! :( Hope your life and your reef are back to normal very soon!

How is the HDPE plastic used? Do you lay it on the bottom of the inside of the tank? Where can I find sheets of this plastic?

Also, what kind of foam should be used? Where can it be purchased? I would imagine this foam would be layed on the outside bottom of the tank?

Best of luck with your tank rebirth! :)

tang daddy
08-22-2007, 06:19 PM
hey I'm sorry to hear will keep my ears open for a tank for you.
Chris

Whatigot
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Man, I feel for you.....
Had this happen with a 25 tall planted fw before only I had not tkane any preventative steps....
good for you for handling it so well, guess that's the benefit of experience.
you tank was gorgeous beforehand.....
you should post some pics up after you get things back in order....
cheers.
K./