PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting find

marie
08-21-2007, 03:52 AM
I was checking out the inside of my overflows tonight (I like looking at all the sponges growing in there :redface: ) and what do i see but what appears to be a tiny pocillipora growing in there.

Now I know I never put my pocillipora inside my overflow for safe keeping so either I had polyp bailout and it attached there or else one of my colonies had babies :cool:

Of course I have no idea what to do about it, it's attached to the glass and can't be getting a lot of light nor is it a place I want a coral to grow...oh well

Chaloupa
08-21-2007, 04:42 AM
OK..how many other people would have a "stray" pocillipora??? Marie, you sure do have some skill, luck or otherwise or ALL of the above!!:biggrin:

michika
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm guessing all of the above!

marie
08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I did find out that pocillipora are brooders and the chances of a polyp bailout actually settling and producing a skeleton are slim to non so I guess I should be handing out cigars :lol:

michika
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
When you go to pick up those cigars you may want to consider a lotto ticket as well!

Delphinus
08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Neat! Can you manage a picture?

christyf5
08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Wow Marie, thats awesome. Be interesting to see how much it grows back there :razz:

marie
08-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Uh oh, I think i might be in the pocillipora farming business (well I would be if I hadn't fragged my biggest colony and sent most of it to Anthony :lol: ) . After a bunch of reading I went looking in my tank and found at least 4 more babies, on both my returns, my heater and one on the back glass. I think I'm going to need another tank

Chaloupa
08-23-2007, 12:44 AM
SO very very cool! I think I might "need" one when they are the right size....OK I know I need one!!!

marie
09-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Neat! Can you manage a picture?

Yes, yes I can :mrgreen:

and I have since spotted at least a dozen others scattered around the system

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept2005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept2007.jpg

Aquattro
09-03-2007, 03:25 AM
I did find out that pocillipora are brooders and the chances of a polyp bailout actually settling and producing a skeleton are slim to non so I guess I should be handing out cigars :lol:

Don't get too happy too early. I had 2 large colonies that over a year produced around 30 bailout "kids" ....they were everywhere. Got a bit much after a while!!