PDA

View Full Version : White spots on back of tank...

jasond
08-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Quick question. I have a 20G tank, been set up since beginning of April or so. I am in the process of having a bigger tank being built, so I have been holding off doing too much with this tank as it will become my sump. Currently not a whole lot for stock....about 25lbs of LR, GSP, mushroom, and one other I cant remember, and two clown fish...

Question is, I seem to get white spots on the back of the aquarium, almost like little crystals, and I have no idea what they are. The back is painted black, so they stick out fairly well. They will come off with the magnet, but just curious where they are coming from.

Water parameter's are good (ammonia, nitrate, etc). Temp is around 78, or as close as possible.

Any idea's?????

marcingo
08-21-2007, 01:46 AM
I believe they are tiny feather dusters.

I had them all the time. They arent bad for your tank. Basically they are filter feeders.

jasond
08-21-2007, 03:13 AM
It doesnt really look like it I dont think, thanks for the reply though. Here is a bad attempt at a picture....is this what yours looks like?

kadaytar
08-21-2007, 04:10 AM
In the picture it looks like they are tiny air bubles- gas exchange of algae- stuck to algae film on the glass. I may be wrong but that is how it looks like in the pic.

jasond
08-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Is that bad?

If I take one out on my finger, it is almost like a little piece of salt or sugar....and will break or crumble easily.

Maybe it doesnt matter at all, just havent seen it on anyone else's tank.

Thanks!

kadaytar
08-21-2007, 04:36 AM
If they are like piece of salt or sugar they may be tiny spiral tube worms. They are not bad.

fishoholic
08-21-2007, 04:50 AM
They are Spirorbid worms. Here's a link http://www.melevsreef.com/id/spirorbid_worms.html

jasond
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
You got it, thats what they look like, thanks!

fishoholic
08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Your welcome :biggrin: