PDA

View Full Version : Electrocution hurts

digital-audiophile
08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I found that I was having stray current in my tank, I would put my hand in and feel a tingle, I added a grounding probe and tried each piece of equipment but coul not determine the source, this was a couple weeks ago. On the weekend I was doing a water change and cleaning my sump, since I am using sleath heaters I don't mind pulling them out of the water to wipe the detrious off and check the temp setting. Well when I went to pull one of the sleath heaters up I got zapped pretty bad. Unplugged the thing and threw it in the trash.

I'm not sure what I am getting at here, maybe just a heads up about stealth heaters? I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same thing happen with one.

Delphinus
08-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Which one's the Stealth? I guess anything electrical and sitting in SW will eventually let go. I agree, full on 110V hurts a lot. I felt it when my Rio pump let go (probably around 5 years ago now, long time ago, 'twas a known issue with them at the time). I first thoought it was my shabby DIY sump lights so I unplugged them and checked again. Haha, that was dumb. OwOwOwOwOwOwOwOwOwOwOwOwOw Ok guess it's not the lights!!!

My wife still refuses to put her hands in the tanks - she was the one who first noticed the problem.

digital-audiophile
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
it's hard to let go once the electicity starts running through your hands, it seems to freeze your fingers shut so it's hard to open your hand and let go.

The stelath is by marineland visitherm. They are all black with a plastic casing so you can remove them from the water warm without shattering. Albert sold me on a couple as the best heater out there. They do work well, I just think I got a faulty one.

I seem to have bad luck with heaters though, I don't think I have ever owned one that has lasted past 6 months.

These are the heaters here http://www.marineland.com/products/asi/visi-therm_stealth.asp

fencer
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Hope you got some GFI's in place

digital-audiophile
08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
That's the problem, I don't have my tanks on GFI's. I have seen ones that you can plug into a wall outlet online but when I have asked at Home Depot and Rona the guys in the elctrical department have looked at me like I am crazy.

I really need to replace my wall outlets with GFI's but I have 0 electrical knowledge to do it :(

fencer
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
let me ask our electrical dept and see if I can get you a source. I believe that there are power bars with GFIs.

digital-audiophile
08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
:) Excellent, thank you very much.

Delphinus
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Easiest thing, IMO, is replace the receptacles with the bathroom GFCI's. Turn offthe breaker, pull out the old one, connect the new one. Really, it's not too bad. If you want a hand let me know (I still gots me one hand - my left shoulder may be broken, but I still gots me one good hand!! :lol:)

digital-audiophile
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I just may take you up on that offer Tony. Installing a wall socket would be cheaper than new power bars I would imagine.

findingnemo1
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
i could probably come help you change them out. I am a journeyman electrican so it wouldn't be a problem. Mine took me about 5 min to swap out.

Craig

Der_Iron_Chef
08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I need to change mine out, too. Progressive dinner / GFCI Party? :D

Slick Fork
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I've had 2 visitherms zap me in the last 6 month. Thank god for GFCI outlets, but one was still bad enough to take the breath out of me

Ephraim
08-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I just shocked myself really good last night while using my dremel with wet hands. I know, I ain't the brightest feller...

fencer
08-21-2007, 04:25 AM
I went to RONA today and found they had GFI power bars for about 33.00 for a 4 plug unit.

EmilyB
08-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Just installed a new (used) skimmer. The pump took down the whole circuit from the ground probe to GFCI. In this hobby, you best be careful.:wink: