PDA

View Full Version : thinking of ordering from J&L , anyone interested?

spikehs
01-03-2003, 03:48 AM
I know there was a recent order from there, but would anyone be interested doing a live order? I lost my flame angel a while back (powerhead accident) and have always wanted another. I haven't really decided yet, but if there was enough interest i am sure that would help sway my decision :D . It wont be for a couple of weeks atleast as J&L doesn't have any.... I would be up getting it from elsewhere if anyone has any preferences.

AJ_77
01-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Sean, I'd be interested - got a couple of Gift Certificates for Christmas that need to be used up! Missed out on that last cleaner shrimp jamboree, so maybe one of those for a start.

I think a neighbour of mine might be coaxed into ordering something as well. :wink:

Thanks for the advance warning, I'd have to mail the vouchers ahead of time I guess.

Alan

Canadian Man
01-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Alan I think they may just ask you for the #'s on the certif.
Then they would probably cross them off their list and you could rip them up, or try and use them again but that may not work :?

I would be in for another order. I just noticed tonight that I only have 1 cleaner shrimp in my tank when there is supposed to be 2 hmmm :?

:? so much confusion in this post of mine :?

Delphinus
01-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Count me in too!

Jonathan, sure it's not molting? They go scarce when they're molting (something about being tasty AND defenseless makes them tend to be shy...)

spikehs
01-03-2003, 06:59 AM
tony, what are you in for?

Canadian Man
01-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Tony I looked high and low for any sighn of a tenticle thingy all day and there was no sign. :(

rossb
01-03-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm in also...thinking about some nassarius snails and a emerald crab

BTW if any one is ordering a SLF crab...well talk to me first

What would the tenative date be??

Delphinus
01-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Jonathan, well, hopefully he's just being inconspicuous. I have gone weeks without seeing my cleaners only to see them come out again. My peppermints on the other hand .... I only saw them on the first night they went in, and never again, except for one time I found one in the sump. After putting him back in the main tank, again, haven't seen him since.

Sean, I'm basically in for some cleanup critters. Lettuce slugs, snails, maybe some peppermints again, things of this nature. I haven't decided "exactly what" just yet, just that whatever it will be, it will be something. (I don't know if that makes any sense?) Basically just let me know when you're ready to proceed and then I'll firm down the wishlist and get in touch with J&L (or whoever we go with).

spikehs
01-03-2003, 04:13 PM
not exactly sure on the date, but they said some flame angels would be arriving in about 2 weeks....

Bob I
01-03-2003, 04:46 PM
I am still in for a Royal Grama, and I am also looking for something to put some life into my new 20 gallon mini reef. As yet I have not decided what that will be.

spikehs
01-03-2003, 04:58 PM
how about a banggai :D i am hoping to have them ready in a couple of weeks as well (just gotta ween em on to frozen foods now).. I would say they are ~1inch tip to tail.

Bob I
01-03-2003, 05:31 PM
how about a banggai :D i am hoping to have them ready in a couple of weeks as well (just gotta ween em on to frozen foods now).. I would say they are ~1inch tip to tail.

Banggai or two would be real nice. I just hope you sell them for less than Pisces. (they want $39.95 for one)

wayner
01-03-2003, 05:35 PM
I'd be in too, I'm looking for a small Pink Birdsnest, if they have one in at the time of ordering, count me in.

Delphinus
01-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Hey count me in for a banggai too. I need a boyfriend companion for the girl I have now. How big do they need to be before you can guess at a gender?

spikehs
01-03-2003, 11:18 PM
i heard the absolute minimum is about 6-8months, but as you know its really still a crap shoot.... if you go to the breeders forum at reefcentral you should be able to find a lot of pics and advice. The advise so far is the male as a more "bulldog" look if you look at them head on (its really only apparent if you see a male and female) and the female generally has a more roundish body shape (male square)....Well so far the plan will be $20 for one (or as always a nice frag)....I'll try to get some pics of mine as soon as the male spits out his latest brood (which should be tuesday!!!!)

Bob I
01-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Well so far the plan will be $20 for one (or as always a nice frag)....

Sure put me down for a couple, and let me know when they are ready.

Canadian Man
01-04-2003, 06:49 PM
For anyone wanting some sps form J/L I sent them an email and this is what they said.

"Hello Jonathan,
Unfortunately we are all out of SPS corals right now. We are
hoping to have a shipment in here for the 17th of this month"

So I was I was thinking of ordering some sps colonies and I believe wayne was as well.
So if it's before the 17th then I may have to pass but if it's on the 17th or later then I am in.

Thanks.

spikehs
01-04-2003, 07:12 PM
the flames wont be in for a week or so he said, so after the 17th should work well for me too.

Josh23
01-05-2003, 08:55 PM
I might be interested pending the time. Im still 50/50 on this one.
Josh

andestang
01-05-2003, 10:09 PM
I'd like to join in if they have what I'm after, keep me posted when the order is approaching. 8)
ande

spikehs
01-06-2003, 02:20 AM
i am thinking of getting some LR from j&l would anyone else want to get a few pieces, maybe we can fill a whole box or so? I really want to go for some of the branch rock, it looks really nice, but quite expensive.

Bob I
01-06-2003, 02:37 AM
i am thinking of getting some LR from j&l would anyone else want to get a few pieces, maybe we can fill a whole box or so? I really want to go for some of the branch rock, it looks really nice, but quite expensive.

I am in for a few pieces of nice porous stuff like Fiji.

AJ_77
01-06-2003, 03:25 PM
That branch rock looks really cool, would like to get a couple of pieces and see if its really that good...

Not as porous as the regular rock - would it be considered good for biological filtration still?? Isn't it the porosity that makes it useful? All the branch I've seen and have is very solid, compared to Fiji or Tonga.

Alan

Delphinus
01-06-2003, 03:38 PM
I was thinking about that too. I might get a few pieces of that branch stuff, but that will depend on how much mad money I have at the time of the order. Probably not too much (I don't know how you guys do it all the time??? Can you let me in on the secret of the bottomless pit of money used to fund the hobby???) ;)

spikehs
01-06-2003, 03:51 PM
think we will be able to fill up a box of the branch? its 40pounds/box...i think i'll be in for 10pounds of the branch, and 10pounds of the figi for me..+1 flame angel..Bob how much of the the figi were you going to get?

Bob I
01-06-2003, 04:45 PM
That branch rock looks really cool, would like to get a couple of pieces and see if its really that good...

Not as porous as the regular rock - would it be considered good for biological filtration still?? Isn't it the porosity that makes it useful? All the branch I've seen and have is very solid, compared to Fiji or Tonga.

Alan

As far as I know it is the porosity that gives a surface for the bacteria to colonise. The more porosity, the more surface area. Hence Fiji is better.

Bob I
01-06-2003, 04:46 PM
think we will be able to fill up a box of the branch? its 40pounds/box...i think i'll be in for 10pounds of the branch, and 10pounds of the figi for me..+1 flame angel..Bob how much of the the figi were you going to get?

Up to 10 pounds, and one Royal Grama if available.

Jboy
01-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Hey there,

Now that Jon has helped me get my tank into top form, I would be in for an order as well. A cleaner shrimp, some conch's (if available), and yes I think I'm ready......

Some coral!! Speaking of which, I would need some help in selecting the most suitable one for my set-up. Jon, you out there??

Thanks
Jason

Canadian Man
01-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Glad to here from ya Jason.
Send me an email and we will chat about it.

jon_kate@telusplanet.net

cheers

rossb
01-07-2003, 03:39 AM
I emailed J&L with my order and they were unaware that this was pending (OK Tony had talked to them). On the last order I had each person contact J&L direcly and they billed separately and evenly distributed the shipping charges. It worked quite well. spikehs you might want to consider this as well.

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 03:54 AM
I emailed J&L with my order and they were unaware that this was pending (OK Tony had talked to them). On the last order I had each person contact J&L direcly and they billed separately and evenly distributed the shipping charges. It worked quite well. spikehs you might want to consider this as well.

so ross are you going to be the one going to pick it up again?
When are we doing the order for? After the 17th I hope?
The way we did it last time was perfect! :D

spikehs
01-07-2003, 04:22 AM
yah, that sounds like a good idea, but me and jon needed to wait for a bit longer the sps come in on the 17th i think, and the flame angels around there. So i'll place my order closer to the time i think (i am not 100% sure on what i am getting yet)

Sean

Delphinus
01-07-2003, 04:33 AM
emailed J&L with my order and they were unaware that this was pending (OK Tony had talked to them)

Huh? I'm confused. They didn't seem surprised when I told them about it, I just said that two people were waiting for the livestock order to come in, but I had wanted to check availability on some of the things I'm after.

What they did tell, that I should probably pass along, is, if you want some of the red branch rock that you should let them know this week, as they will have to special order and hold it.

Tony,

Everything except for the Rock is usually in stock. If you are interested in
some of that, please let us know by the end of this week so I can make sure
I have enough. We do have it coming in tentatively on the 14th.

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Yeah....and they had a good laugh when I said send me my order outside of this Calgary confusion... :lol:

rossb
01-08-2003, 12:14 AM
so ross are you going to be the one going to pick it up again?
When are we doing the order for? After the 17th I hope?
The way we did it last time was perfect!

I certainly could and it is quite simple for me, and after the 17th is certainly good...but it was spikeys idea...We should share an experience this good :lol:

Yeah....and they had a good laugh when I said send me my order outside of this Calgary confusion...

your gonna miss out on all the fun :roll:

spikehs
01-08-2003, 12:22 AM
doesn't matter to me who picks it up i can, but i am in the south, not sure how central that is to everyone else. I just got an email back from j&l they said the rock and everything else should be in ~17th so it looks like its a go for just after then.

Sean

AJ_77
01-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Check SWC's updated January specials - Marshall Island rock at $4.99 a pound. "It is Marshall island rock. The shaping is very nice but the coraline coverage is very little. I will try to send some pics. Thanks." - JaysonWould prefer the Fiji with good coraline for $5.15/40 lbs price I think. Shelf-like pieces available? Mmmm....

wayner
01-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Please keep me informed on how & when this order will take place, I'm still looking for a small Pink Birsnest or Cats Paw.

rossb
01-13-2003, 02:42 PM
I will be ordering separately from J&L at a later date

spikehs
01-16-2003, 01:08 AM
got an update from J&L : my flame angel is in, there is NO branch rock as a cyclone ripped through the area where it is collected, and he is still waiting on the sps shipment due on friday....so maybe early next week we can get it off? how does this sound?

Canadian Man
01-16-2003, 02:54 AM
sounds good to me.

Delphinus
01-16-2003, 04:43 AM
Ditto :)

AJ_77
01-16-2003, 04:47 AM
OK then - can we fill a box with Fiji rock you think, along with everything else?

spikehs
01-16-2003, 05:06 AM
well the box size for figi is 50pounds, and i am in for 10-20 (depending on $$)....how much is everyone else getting?

Bob I
01-16-2003, 02:51 PM
well the box size for figi is 50pounds, and i am in for 10-20 (depending on $$)....how much is everyone else getting?

I think I said up to 10 pounds, and a Royal Grama. It just seems to take forever before we get anything going that a person forgets what he wanted. I am beginning to think I will say "to H*** with it", and go in with Ross.

AJ_77
01-16-2003, 03:34 PM
I was looking for ~10 lbs as well, but have to look into a local deal first. The other things were a shrimp, a crab, a small fish...

Too bad about the branch rock. I wonder how this will affect their supply - might the storm have piled up a whole new rim of broken pieces around the reef, ready to collect? I guess the infrastructure might be in pieces, but those islanders seem quite resilient, having dealt with storms for generations.

spikehs
01-16-2003, 03:54 PM
does anywhere in calgary have any good rock at the moment?

Delphinus
01-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Is this the storm that wiped out a few villages a few weeks back? I heard entire coastal villages were literally wiped away by the storms, luckily there were no casualties (this is what I heard anyways).

For for rock... Umm ... I don't think I'm in for any rock this go-round. Lack of funds, mostly (got hammered by my CC bills this week), but also was really only primarily interested in the branchy stuff... However, I am still in for the other potential things, so just let me know when I need to get my order with them finalized. All I'm really after are more snails, perhaps a shrimp or two, and if by some miracle that they have a pink acro millepora I'd be in for that.

AJ_77
01-16-2003, 10:22 PM
As to the cyclone - this one (Ami) is from just a few days ago.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2198164a10,00.html

As to the rock, there's none local that I know of - not feasible for the LFS to get the good stuff in?? Go figure - 12 dollars per lb of base rock... Woo! :roll:

I was checking on a guy selling his tank - another local dead end.

andestang
01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
I would be probably interested in some rock - 10 lbs - and some snails and such. Previous orders for rock been good quality?
ande

TANGOMAN
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I contacted J&L yesterday inquiring about Copperbands and Royal Grammas. $54.00 for shipping, up to approx 15 items. Coral or fish. The fish I'm interested in wont be in for a few weeks though...I won't pay that for 2 fish so I'm interested in joining the chaos... :lol: . Is this delay feasable for any of ya'...? Bob, don't blow a head gasket ! :wink:
I'd like to go to Wai's this afternoon for a CBB but I'll gladly/preferably wait if others are "on stand-by".

Delphinus
01-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Delays generally only give me more time to save up for the cash to pay for stuff, so unless I'm in some kind of desperate withdrawal for new stuff, I have no issues with waiting.

I have no issue with not waiting, either. I'm just along for the ride on this one, so I'll go with the flow, where-ever it goes ...

Canadian Man
01-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Either way is ok for me but I wanted to get firstish type pick on their colonies of sps.

TANGOMAN
01-17-2003, 05:02 PM
"Just along for the ride..." ? All right who's drivin' this bus ? I guess I pass on the journey to Wai's today :cry: . I hate having to be patient !
Can we get a head count for who'd be interested in a mid-Feb. order...?
One now, one later...? I don't want to be the guy who screws up plans for an order in January... :wink:
Ross; ???
Bob; ??? :evil:
Jonny; ??? :?
Tony; ? :? (he's the guy in the back row of the bus :wink: )

Bob I
01-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Bob; ??? :evil:

I would like to know how I got tagged as being the only evil one :?: :?:

I have to hang on a bit, I just bought another RG, and would like to see if this one survives. :oops:

spikehs
01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
not sure if you guys got this email from j & l :

Greetings!

There has been great expectation of our Tonga & Fiji shipments that were
due to arrive this week (clams, sps, rock, etc.). Unfortunately there was
quite a severe cyclone that went through that area of the world this past
week. Due to this storm, many shipments either got postponed or cancelled
completely. Because of this there will be NO SPS shipment this week.

Some of our upcoming shipments are scheduled as follows:

Tuesday Jan. 21st: Tonga - Rock & Clams
Friday Jan. 24th: Indian Ocean/Maldives - Fish
Friday Jan. 24th: Fiji - SPS (TENTATIVE - NOT CONFIRMED!!)
Tuesday Jan. 28th: South America - Fish (Queen & French Angels, etc.)
Thursday Jan 30th: Bali - Fish

so i guess we'lll be delayed again for some sps...i am interested in getting some snails too as i am recently starting to develope some gross brown algae....so i dont know if this should be a separate order or what...maybe we could have one for snails and what not then one for fish and corals and rock? any ideas?

Canadian Man
01-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Is anyone that want's the sps/or other corals intrested in ordering form SWC? I would be up for that too. I just want corals so that's what I am after.

Bob I
01-17-2003, 11:32 PM
I am interested in getting some snails too as I am recently starting to develop some gross brown algae

You might reconsider the snails especially if the algae is on the sandbed. Snails like Astrea seem to be unable to get traction on the sandbed, and won't go there. I myself have had a lot of luck with a fighting conch. I rotate him between two tanks so that he can keep both sandbeds clean. :wink: :D

spikehs
01-18-2003, 08:55 PM
i do have some conches...they are doing a good job on the sand bed, but i am getting some on the rocks....I kinda want to get this algae before it gets a strong hold, so would it be feasable to get the snail order going before the others? seeing as how shipping for them is just one set price, we wouldn't benifit from combining it with the fish/corals. this is tentitively what i will be going for with the snails.

5-astrea
5-cerith
5-margarita
5-nassarius
5-turbo

Bob I
01-18-2003, 09:14 PM
so would it be feasible to get the snail order going before the others? seeing as how shipping for them is just one set price, we wouldn't benefit from combining it with the fish/corals.

OK I don't get that. What do you mean it would be a set price?? I always thought we would benefit by combining things.

spikehs
01-18-2003, 09:29 PM
ummm, take a look at the shipping info on j&l site http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?page=shipping.shtml&&cart_id=

the shipping is $45.50 for any size cleanup crew, so i dont think there would be any advantage combing with the fish/corals...maybe i am wrong though.

Bob I
01-19-2003, 04:07 PM
ummm, take a look at the shipping info on j&l site http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?page=shipping.shtml&&cart_id=

the shipping is $45.50 for any size cleanup crew, so i dont think there would be any advantage combing with the fish/corals...maybe i am wrong though.

I think what you do is make up an order of whatever you want, and just combine them in a box. In other words, if you want one fish, and one custodian package, it would be combined, and put into one box for $45.50, not sent in two boxes like you are implying.

spikehs
01-19-2003, 11:24 PM
ok, this whole order has gotten a bit confusing to me, so i was wondering where everyone who was interested stands? are we still ordering from j&l, or is the order splitting up, or what? again, this is what i am looking for: ~20-25 snails...and maybe some rock. i myself would prefer to get it from j&l as they are quite a bit cheaper then swc for the snails and such. Thanks.

Sean

TANGOMAN
01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm assuming fish and corals are shipped as one "package item" and "mobile inverts" are shipped as a different item. I dunno'? I just wanted to disagree with Bob... :wink:
Where do I stand you ask. Well, I wish I knew. I want fish. I doesn't sound like I can spend my money from this weekends birthday donations until early Feb. I did the "LFS tour" today and I'm not impressed, once again, with what I see. J&L might be in for some loyal business in the future.
Sean, do you want to contact Alan or John @ J&L and clarify the packaging prices or would you like me to ?
Shall I add more confusion to the possibilities of livestock suppliers ? No ?
Ok. I got a call on Fri. from Wanda @ Tails and Scales and they're preparing to order livestock in early Feb. as well. Perhaps some others received a similar call ? Again they're dealing with licencing issues. Currently they won't be "maintaining an inventory". Only supplying ordered livestock...
I do like what I've heard about J&L so that's where I'm inclined to spend my money.

spikehs
01-20-2003, 11:21 PM
well, the ONLY histation i would have with tails & scales is they can't hold their livestock which might mean you would get a half dead specimen, or they might not have an arrive alive garuntee type thing.....but maybe i am wrong...does anyone know what the deal is? I'll email j&l about the shipping.

Bob I
01-21-2003, 01:48 AM
I'm assuming fish and corals are shipped as one "package item" and "mobile inverts" are shipped as a different item. I dunno'? I just wanted to disagree with Bob... :wink:

Sure why not disagree? :roll: , it is always best to get answers from the guy doing the shipping, right?

At this time I am out. I seem to have lost my third Royal Grama, so three strikes we are out. Maybe I will pick up two more YT damsels, as the new three are of course at war. Maybe a couple more will stop that, or start a real war. 8)

spikehs
01-21-2003, 06:58 AM
okay....got a reply from j&l the 45.50 is this shipping for the MINIMUM amount of livestock, and we would pay that price REGARDLESS of what we combined with what....allen said we would almost certainly be at that price unless we got to the 30-40kg range....well i think. :roll:

MitchM
01-21-2003, 10:19 AM
At this time I am out. I seem to have lost my third Royal Grama, so three strikes we are out. Maybe I will pick up two more YT damsels, as the new three are of course at war. Maybe a couple more will stop that, or start a real war. 8)

Bob,
Sorry for your loss.... any idea why your fish died?

Mitch

Bob I
01-21-2003, 02:53 PM

Bob,
Sorry for your loss.... any idea why your fish died?

Mitch

Actually I was premature, he was hiding. I did see him last night. As to why they die is baffling me. They look good when I get them, then they look fine for a few hours. Then they go into hiding, and die. Maybe the current one will be OK.

TANGOMAN
01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Ok. So Bob was right. I thought so... :roll: I'm inclined to stick with J&L.
Pretty small headcount ? "They're droppin like flies". This does get hectic coordinating. Especially when inventory on the shipping end is disturbed.

Delphinus
01-21-2003, 04:14 PM
I'm still in for some small stuff, "exact contents TBA/TBD." A lettuce sea slug or two, maybe a handful of snails (will depend on my mood at the time I talk to J&L, and I'll do that as soon as someone tells me to get my order finalized). Also depending on my mood, some cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp... Ok it's not so much "mood" dependent as it is "wallet" dependent. Just tell me when to call them with my order and CC#.