PDA

View Full Version : another lost anemone...

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 03:22 AM
just got a big condy anemone but he doesn't wanna stay on my live rock, but just sifts through the sand trying to find a place, and i was wondering if i should actually move him or just let him position himself? :neutral:

i have crabs
08-19-2007, 03:32 AM
they like to have thier base burried between rocks with indirect flow,you could also try feeding it some shrimp or something to help it decide on a spot.
what lighting do you have?

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 03:38 AM
well he's still sifting through the sand, as for lighting, i always turn my lights off when i get new live stock but i have 2x70-watt- double ended HQI's metal halides

i have crabs
08-19-2007, 04:21 AM
thier is no reason to turn off the lights when adding a anemone. you have plenty of light for a condi so if its not finding a place to stay its probably something to do with flow or the rocks, do you have a full tank shot so we can see the placement of your powerheads and rockwork?,also when did you add it

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 04:31 AM
-oh i just added him 3 hours ago but still i thought he'd attach to something by now! -he's currently on his side waving around, and he's all stretched out so i don't think he's stressed at all, but i'm tempted to take him and place him in between two rocks like u said..

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 04:37 AM
by the way it appears like he's trying to climb up a piece of rock, can anemones actually climb onto rocks and such? whatever i think i'll leave him be for the night and hopefully he'll be attached to something in the morning

i have crabs
08-19-2007, 04:38 AM
when ive moved mine i just held it in place for a few minutes untill it grabbed on but it wasent just added either.as long as its net floating around im shure it will grab on to something. depending on what powerheads and intakes you have it the tank you might want to cover them with a sponge or something over night so you dont wake up with a anemone stuck in a powerhead

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 04:47 AM
-ok thanx alot for all the replys i'll cover the powerhead and if by tommorow morning he's still not attached i'll hold him in place....by the way i'm pretty sure that condys wouldn't sting me would they? :lol: just askin cuz i know they deal a heavy blow to nearby corals and fish

i have crabs
08-19-2007, 05:28 AM
i have a very large and healthy condi and it will really stick to you but no pain involved

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 05:56 AM
awesome he's finally under a tall overhanging piece of live rock, finally positioned him self, man there sure nice colors, bright white with pink tips and long tentacles :smile:, it's really too bad that my tomato won't host it that would look really interesting :cry:

Mik_101
08-19-2007, 07:00 AM
too bad that my tomato won't host it that would look really interesting :cry:

Yah that would be something bright orange fish in a nicly colored anemom drool drool.

i have crabs
08-19-2007, 04:08 PM
first problem is that condis are not white so its got some bleaaching going on.
just feed it something meaty every 2-3 days and let it get lots of light and it should turn a tan/brownish colour,as far as you clown hosting in it. i had my clowns and anemone for almost 2 years before they figured it out.

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
yup i'm not expecting any miracles as far as my tomato hosting my condy, but i'm gettin' a green bta in a week or two and i know that the chances oh a tomato hosting a bta are really high, not guaranteed but very high- um i'm not sure about the bleaching, my species is pretty white in nature i'm pretty sure...this species >>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1897&articleid=2149 (white one), at the lfs there was one that was thick and translucent so i was a little suspicious of that one and grabbed mine...

digital-audiophile
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Two anemones' especially different species in a 33G tank is just asaking for trouble I am afraid.

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
ya i know...i thought two anemones would be pushing it too, what ever i'll just stick with my condy anemone for now, i'm afraid if the bta moves around the condys gonna gonna give him a few unforgetable stings so whatever ones enuf..