PDA

View Full Version : Issues with ro/di

findingnemo1
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
HI there.

We received a new aquasafe unit yesterday. And just put it in place of the old one. I have maybe gotten 15 gallons since last night. And considering it is a 100 gallon per day unti i don't see me hitting that mark. What have i done wrong.I see it going through everything but it is an obscenely slow trickle.

I also sent ed and email as my first di cartridge is already black!!

Don't get that either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Craig

cprowler
08-18-2007, 11:55 PM
I believe the flow rate is determined using warm water and at a increased PSI, some units have this info included. The colder the water the slower it works and the same for city pressure.

You can get a booster pump if you wanted and I used a long piece of inlet hose and coiled it up in a salt bucket with warm water and a heater, to warm the water going in the unit. I just did this to originally fill the tank. Other than that the slower rate is not an issue for me.

Not sure on the DI cartridge.

findingnemo1
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Okay so yes the water coing out is pretty cold as it is hooked into my cold water supply.. So how do i hook it up so i get warmer water?

cprowler
08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't think you can, you don't want it coming out of your hot water tank.
You could do what I did but that's not really a long-term solution.

findingnemo1
08-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Okay we'll i dunno but really i am getting a little irritated:(

Considering they advertise this thing to do about 4 gallons and hour when it is not freezing outside i don't get it.

It is hooked up to my cold water pipe but how can you control the temp of that? YOu can't. And my god it is pretty warm outside ...lol

Is there anyone in Calgary with one of these units that can either send pics or pop by to see if it is hooked up right?

As there instructions are so lame you can't really make sure it is running properly or not.....

grrrrr.

Craig

fencer
08-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Sounds like you need a booster pump. OR you have a lot of stuff in your water. Typically an RO unit produce "good water/bad" in 1:8 ratio using house pressure alone and 1:3 using a booster pump.

findingnemo1
08-19-2007, 06:08 AM
We'll the problem is that i had another r/o hooked up the same way and had no issues although it was less gallons per day.

The new thing is i have now put 20 gallons through it and 2 of the 3 di are now black. So out of 20 gallons that exhausted 2 of my di resins. The tds in Calgary isn't that bad....

Apprently something is not right...

adidas
08-19-2007, 06:38 AM
the easiest way to run warmer water through is to use the faucet adapter instead.

findingnemo1
08-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey i have your hose to. I will drop it off today:)

But the problem is now that the di cartridges are now black already. I ran it all night long and they are now all black. I don't get it ...

DanG
08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
be careful, running water that's too hot through the membrane can damage it. If you do want to warm the water up, you can get 20 or 30 feet of tube, coil it up and put it in a 5g bucket of warmer water, this should increase the temp a bit.
The other thing to check first is your feed water, what PSI are you getting? If memory serves, they want a minimum of 40PSI, with 60+ being recommended.

michika
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Are you still wanting photos? I believe I have the same system as you. Let me know if you want photos.

findingnemo1
08-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Catherine that would be great. I think i have it hooked up right as it is going through all 3 di cartridges but it just exhausted them all in one day. So i am goinng to assume i got bad di?

How long does it take you to fill something up?

michika
08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
It takes me about 45 minutes to fill up a 5g bucket.

This is my system, it sits under my kitchen sink.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/PICT0002-5.jpg

This is the RO/DI plumbed into my cold water line.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/PICT0003-4.jpg