PDA

View Full Version : I need help with lighting!

spencerC
08-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi guys :biggrin:

Okay so i recently purchased a 75 gal tank/canopy/stand combo at Hidden reef.
It also came with 5 VHO lights.
(I can't remember any specs on the lights other then that they cost $48 each... anyone at HR that knows about my set-up know what lights they are?)
Anyways, I'm wondering how i should do the lighting.
I'll have the lights on a timer obviously,
How many hours should i have them on for...

a) when i get my live rock/sand in there curing for the first few weeks or so?

b) when i get my Fish in there as well?

Also, should i do some moonlight lighting?
Could i get something like this:

http://www.hiddenreef.ca/storefront/storefront.php?function=viewproduct&productid=131&categoryid=34

To just do some minor moonlight stuff?
Or is the tank just as well in the dark at night?

ps, the tank is in the basement so it will get next to no natural light.

spencerC
08-18-2007, 05:58 AM
bump?:cry:

marie
08-18-2007, 06:08 AM
You don't need moonlights, it's more for your own amusement then for the tanks benefit.
I had lights on my tank right from the beginning, just so i could see all the stuff on the rock but some people will probably say it's better to cycle the tank without lights.
Once fish are in the tank they will probably prefer some kind of light during the day (just so they know when to go to bed :razz:)
and last, I try to keep some kind of lights on for 12hrs a day just because the daylength is fairly constant at the equator where most of our tropical stuff comes from.

Captainhemo
08-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I had lights on my tank right from the beginning, just so i could see all the stuff on the rock but some people will probably say it's better to cycle the tank without lights.
Once fish are in the tank they will probably prefer some kind of light during the day (just so they know when to go to bed :razz:)
and last, I try to keep some kind of lights on for 12hrs a day just because the daylength is fairly constant at the equator where most of our tropical stuff comes from.

I did the same. It's neat to check out all the life that comes in on your live rock when you are just starting your tank.
I have my actinics on for aboout 12.5 hrs / day while my MH is on for about 10.5.
As Marie said, the moonlight insn't necessary but they are kinda cool. I have one (actaully 2 LED's) on my tank and it gives me the opportunity to view the tank after the "sun goes down".