PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Man

Seriak
01-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Yes,

I got most of my ideas from your sump. I definately want an area for my in sump skimmer so that the water can be fairly high while at the same time allowing the skimmer to function. This means I have to raise the skimmer out of the water a bit. I also want a separate area for my internal return pump. Maybe a couple of baffles here to reduce the chance of micro bubbles. I also want a small refugium. However I will also be making a separate refugium above the tank as well. I have so many ideas and so little time, money, patience, information.

Canadian Man
01-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Well if you have the room I would link something like 3, 33g tanks together and then you can have one set a little bit higher so that the water level is lower therefore having a great place for your skimmer.

Glad to hear I got another "basement sump" convert! :lol:

Seriak
01-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Well yes and no on the convert. I am actually moving the aquarium to the basement for a variety of reasons. I will initially say that it is because my tank always overheats upstairs, and that my fiance has nothing to do with it. But that wouldn't be completely true. Either way, I am building a sump room and would like more area to play around with for Refugiums, FOWLR tanks and the like.

Canadian Man, how big is your sump in the basement. I am really not keen on the multiple tank design because of the drilling required. I don't want to have to spend tons of money on a hole that may or may not crack my tank. What is the footprint of a 33 gallon tank?

Seriak
01-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey if I was going to proceed with your idea. How much does it cost to have your tanks drilled in this city. Three 33 gallons at $35 each. How much for the 4 holes or will they do it for free if I buy the tanks from them. Who is them?

Canadian Man
01-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Seriak,
Well, my sump is a 75g. In my fantasy world I would have had a whole 75 for a sump and a whole 75 for a refugium.
When I too move all my tanks downstars in a tank room I will have a large tank in the wall with the above mentioned sump set up or larger.

Well Tony(delphinius) has the nessecary equipment to drill a hole in a tank and he has been very kind to many members by drilling (or letting the members) drill their tanks for ALOT less than a glass place will charge you.
So I am sure he can set you up that way.
He may pipe in here soon.

A 33 has the footprint of "usually" 3 feet long by 12 inches wide.

Delphinus
01-02-2003, 09:11 PM
I charge a beer, which theoretically is cheaper than the glass shops or the LFS (depends on the beer maybe :mrgreen: )

But there is a catch .... I only have two glass drill bit sizes. One is 5/8", ideal for a float valve, and the other is 1-3/4" which is ideal for a 1" bulkhead. If you need a larger bulkhead than 1" then I can't help you. 1" is good for most applications, though.

To go larger, you could (theoretically) use a Dremel, but based on Ross's recent experiences I'm not too sure how fun that would be.

Speaking of which .... Ross do you still need that other hole drilled? If so, let me know when you want me over.

Seriak
01-03-2003, 02:59 PM
A beer you say. Well I think I have some beer beer lying around here somewhere. Now that was quality stuff. So I guess, I would owe you 4 beer for 4 holes. Awe, I'll just give you a case! I just have to decide what I want to do. I have 5 ft of area to work with maybe 6. Canadian Man got me hooked on the multiple tank design.

Delphinius, What is the likelyhood of a cracked tank when you drill? Well, not specifically you, but you in general. 1 " bulkheads are fine.

Chris

Delphinus
01-03-2003, 04:16 PM
After 4 beers, probably pretty good. ;) Better save the beers for later. :mrgreen:

Well ... seriously ... I would have to say the chances are obviously "not zero" but after having done about a dozen now, it really does seem basically as straightforward as using a hole saw on plywood. The only difference is that you go a LOT slower and a lot less pressure on the drill. These are basically just like a typical hole saw bit for your drill, only difference is they're diamond-tipped so you almost just "sand" the hole out of the glass.

With 20g tanks, the glass is not very thick, so it won't take more than 2-3 minutes per hole. Again the key seems to be to take it slow, and really back off on the pressure just before you punch through so as not to have the hole come ripping out of there on the backside.

It sounds worse than it is, really.

PS. You know, one thing about multiple tanks chained together is it will be like having baffles. It should really cut down on the odds of microbubbles (hopefully).

Seriak
01-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Well I think I have decided on two tanks. One smaller one for my return and skimmer and heater and another larger one for my refugium and return pump. Once I find a good cheap deal on aquariums I will give you a shout and we can start drinking those beers. I mean drilling those holes.

Chris

Quinn
01-06-2003, 01:35 AM
german sociologists have a good word for that "you" concept (you in general, not specifically you, and therefore everybody, and perhaps nobody): das man

in case you care or something... :?

Delphinus
01-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Uh ...

What?