PDA

View Full Version : Eels for beginners?

spencerC
08-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Okay so as you might already know from my many posts of late
(sorry, but thanks for all your help guys :biggrin: )
I am getting a 75 gal marine set-up with very very good filtration (Marc [superfudge] from Hidden Reef is doing a custom sump system for me with plumbing and everything), and i plan on getting a very good skimmer.
Aka, i will probably be able to handle the extra bioload from the eel.

I would LOVE to get an eel for my fish only (probably for the first year, anyway) aquarium.
What would you say is the best eel for a beginner?
And what would i NOT be able to also have in my aquarium with this ideal eel?

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/category/41/114/Eels/

I'm worried about
a) size (not too big for 75 gal w/ live rock)
b) eating my new (and likely small for a while) fish.

If there aren't any that wouldn't eat a small fish, i can probably wait a while for the fish to catch up in size, but there must be one?

Thanks guys!
It sounds corny but i don't know if i would be able to do this without the help of so many intelligent aquarists:redface: :wink:

spencerC
08-16-2007, 05:45 AM
I really like the zebra moray but i think my tank would be too small for him :cry: (3-5 ft)
Apparently he doesn't bug fish too much, and i'd love to feed it the big meaty stuff it needs like squid and fish flesh.

But it looks as if the green wolf eel sounds like the best bet for me. It only gets 18 inches long so i'm assuming that's a smaller mouth, so it'd eat smaller fish?

Sorry if i sound really off. These are just my slightly educated guesses.

spencerC
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
bump?:neutral:

Buddyboy
08-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Is this your first marine tank? Exciting eh?!?! :p

Well, I think a Snowflake Eel would be the best option for you. Just make sure to have a tight fitting lid on your tank!

As for stocking suggestions, just stock with fish that are bigger than the eels mouth. Or, alternately, buy cheap fish (damsels, etc) until you figure out whether or not the eel has a taste for fresh fish. The eel should be fine with fish though if you keep him well fed. Forget about crabs or shrimps though. They will make a tasty snack. A few large hermits might survive. Tankmates? How about a fuzzy dwarf lion?

Best of luck with your new tank!

KevinFJB
08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Tough to make a choice with the obvious trade offs. The zebra is a crustacean eater but as you noted too big for your tank. The Gymnothrax morays are common but will eat fish, except one you might conisder: the dwarf golden moray. It would eat fish small enough for it to fit in its mouth, but it reaches a maximum of about 7-9" long, so its too small to eat most fish. I bought one from J&L and it is in a 112g with fish and shrimp and does not bother the shrimp or even smaller fish in my system - including a clown goby, and a barnacle blenny. Like other morays its eyesight is terrible but its sense of small outstanding. I think the fact that i keep it fed decrease the chance that it will go after the cleaner shrimp or small fish. The only donwside to these guys is thae are hard to find and expensive, but that is relative (was worth it to me to get one), and they are reclusive, but very cool. Wolf eels are interesting too, but are elongated gobies in reality.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/KevinFJB/eel.jpg

Mik_101
08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
hear are some links to "easier to keep" eels.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1689
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=135
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=133

the Tessalata Eel is a easy to keep speciment but reqires a much larer tank than you own.(sad but true.)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Snowflake eels are the most popular small eel for good reason. They can be even kept in a reef tank, if you don't keep shrimp or stuff like that. Mine lives with a pair of Ocellaris clowns.

spencerC
08-17-2007, 02:53 AM
I definitely like the sound of the dwarf golden moray.
How much do they run for?

The Gymnothrax morays are common but will eat fish, except one you might conisder: the dwarf golden moray. It would eat fish small enough for it to fit in its mouth, but it reaches a maximum of about 7-9" long, so its too small to eat most fish. I bought one from J&L and it is in a 112g with fish and shrimp and does not bother the shrimp or even smaller fish in my system - including a clown goby, and a barnacle blenny. Like other morays its eyesight is terrible but its sense of small outstanding. I think the fact that i keep it fed decrease the chance that it will go after the cleaner shrimp or small fish. The only donwside to these guys is thae are hard to find and expensive, but that is relative (was worth it to me to get one), and they are reclusive, but very cool. Wolf eels are interesting too, but are elongated gobies in reality.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/KevinFJB/eel.jpg

Midknight
08-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Snowflake eels are the most popular small eel for good reason. They can be even kept in a reef tank, if you don't keep shrimp or stuff like that. Mine lives with a pair of Ocellaris clowns.

I agree, mine was great in my reef until he took a walk on the dry side.
I think someone said something about a tight lid.....:wink:

krisalexander
08-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I have my first eel up for sale right now, i had it in my reef tank with shrimp and small fish and it didnt touch anything, It was my first go at eels and I found it very easy, fed it some silversides every couple days and it was great...It is a gold spotted moray about 18" and it gets to a max of 2 feet in the wild.. I am looking for 75$ they retail for about 200 but i need to get rid of it..

kris

justinl
08-17-2007, 04:49 PM
if i were you spencer, I would take Kris' offer. i was tempted myself, but i just don't havce the proper digs to keep an eel at the moment. im actually quite surprised no one has taken that deal yet.

if you dont want the gold spotted, then go for the snowflake or golden dwarf (if you can find one... they're not exactly common). those three are your best choices imo.

mik, please research before posting. none of those eels are good candidates in the OP's case. and as a general rule, online vendor minimum tank requirements are NOT good things to go by.

Buddyboy
08-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Any pictures of the eel to share Kris?

krisalexander
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
I willl try to find some and post them...

kris

spencerC
08-19-2007, 04:11 AM
I would love to take up Kris's offer,
But the thing is, i don't even have my tank at home yet. :cry:
I plan on cycling live rock too,
So i wouldn't be able to put any stock in my tank for around a month,
And I'm thinking I should introduce an eel close to last?
I don't expect Kris to hold on to the eel til then.

if i were you spencer, I would take Kris' offer. i was tempted myself, but i just don't havce the proper digs to keep an eel at the moment. im actually quite surprised no one has taken that deal yet.

if you dont want the gold spotted, then go for the snowflake or golden dwarf (if you can find one... they're not exactly common). those three are your best choices imo.

mik, please research before posting. none of those eels are good candidates in the OP's case. and as a general rule, online vendor minimum tank requirements are NOT good things to go by.

bv_reefer
08-19-2007, 05:08 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but they say to not put an eel in a tank younger than 2-3 months, as they thrive in well-established tanks, but other than that don't know..

Mik_101
08-19-2007, 06:50 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but they say to not put an eel in a tank younger than 2-3 months, as they thrive in well-established tanks, but other than that don't know..

I second that.

spencerC
08-19-2007, 05:44 PM
yeah exactly,
and considering my tank isn't even with me yet,
it would be at least 3 months before i could put in an eel. :cry:
Oh well, if you still have it by then Kris, let me know!

justinl
08-19-2007, 06:28 PM
eels are generally very hardy and would do just fine in a newly cycled tank... just so long as it is completely cycled. i haven't met anyone who has said otherwise.

only thing with eels is the need for a tight fitting lid.