PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer

Bryan
01-02-2003, 05:18 AM
Anybody using a refractometer, if so how do you like it. Curious as to the resolution/divisions on the scale.

From what I have been able to find most have 1 ppt or 0.001 Specific Gravity. From this scale can you distinguish if your sample is 1.0250 vs 1.0255 if it only has a division of .001.

Aquattro
01-02-2003, 05:56 AM
Better question is where to buy these at a good price?? :D

ron101
01-02-2003, 06:18 AM
Ordered mine from Saltwater Connections; Milwaukee autotemp for $119. The increments for SG are .001 but since it is analog you can tell when it is in between though not necessarily to a .0005 accuracy.

I'm partial to the refractometer concept over a digital meter since the latter has issues with probe life.

zulu_principle
01-03-2003, 03:54 AM
I have both the pinpoint and a refractometer (purchased on ebay) used.

I still like the standard sg container for $9.99 and every once in a while check it with the refractometer.

As for the pinpoint it needs to be calibrated often and it has been sent back twice to pinpoint.

Wendell

Bryan
01-03-2003, 05:01 AM
I have been having problems with my Pinpoint salinity as well. I do have a quality Tropic Marine floating hydrometer which is supposed to be very accurate which I can use to calibrate one of the cheap plastic floating types..

As for the pinpoint it needs to be calibrated often and it has been sent back twice to pinpoint.

Wendell

EmilyB
01-03-2003, 05:38 AM
I purchased my refractometer from northcoastmarines (shipped via mail). I see they have the new ones with the stronger pins..... :D I only use it to make sure the SeaTest is working mostly, or when I want a really precise measurement.

It is important to note that not all hydrometers are temp corrected. (The SeaTest is)

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/REFRACT.htm

Aquattro
01-03-2003, 06:03 AM
I have both the pinpoint and a refractometer (purchased on ebay) used.

I still like the standard sg container for $9.99 and every once in a while check it with the refractometer.

Wendell

Wedell is calibrating hydrometers at the meeting!!!!! wohoo!! :wink: 8)