PDA

View Full Version : What's the best skimmer i can get for $200-400?

spencerC
08-15-2007, 05:40 AM
I'll be setting up my 75 gal fish-only (live rock+sand, one day reef) aquarium sometime in the next couple weeks.
It needs to also be an in-sump model.

I'm looking to spend up to $400 (maybe more if necessary)

There are so many different kind of skimmers out there that all sound like they work so well,
I know to stay away from Coral life but that's about it...
I've also heard that euro-reef is ideal but is it really #1 for the price/functionallity ratio?
What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

fortheloveofcrabs
08-15-2007, 06:37 AM
My guesses would be either Aqua C EV-120 Protein Skimmer ($360) or an Aqua C Urchin Pro In-Sump Protein Skimmer ($275)... But the experts will chime in!!

HTH

-Pauli

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
An ASM G series or EuroReef RS series skimmer would fit your requirements. Both are great bang-for-the-buck skimmers.

SuperFudge
08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Dont forget the ATI`s,

Bubblemasters use a meshwheel, though new to the market it seems to be a bit better than the needlewheels...the few that i have played with seem to be preforming admirably.

http://www.atiaquaristik.com/index.php?id=58,0,0,1,0,0

But any of the above skimmers will do a decent job.

Marc.

fkshiu
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
For the "less is more approach" consider the Tunze 9010. It's an in-tank skimmer but can be run in-sump as well. It saves a lot of space, is very quiet and efficient.

surgeonfish
08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I have used both the ASM G series and EuroReef skimmers and they are great. The EuroReef has better construction but both are low maintenance and basically are plug-and-play with no adjusting needed. I would go as large as possible but make sure it fits in your sump.

spencerC
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
What about this one?

"Rated up to 500 gal. I thought i would have 120 Gal tank but got only 60 Gal aprowed by my wife and my tank has no sump, so i have no use for it right now.

Tunze 240/3 protein skimmer (for $249- used)

Comes with $40 sump stand and extra collection cup and new super Hydrofoamer nozzle that is being used in new line of Tunze Master DOC skimmers but fits in this one. For more finer bubbles (I believe the part number is Tunze 3130.16) With Ozone connection nipple
Very low power consumption only 15-44Watt
Mixes a lot of air 264 Gal/h = more then 900 litres/hr"

http://www.reefculture.com.au/catalo...roducts_id=161

Buying used is a little iffy though i guess... it's $700 less than new which is too good of a deal and worrys me.
It would be SO easy to pick up though, it's very close to me.
Opinions?

robzilla
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
i've learned the hard way, buy a unit that will last you. by trying to save a few bucks on a cheaper brand, you'll eventually end up buying another "should of bought this one in the begining" skimmer. even though it will cost you a few more bucks in the beginning, you'll be happier in the long run.

fkshiu
08-15-2007, 08:41 PM
What about this one?

"Rated up to 500 gal. I thought i would have 120 Gal tank but got only 60 Gal aprowed by my wife and my tank has no sump, so i have no use for it right now.

Comes with $40 sump stand and extra collection cup and new super Hydrofoamer nozzle that is being used in new line of Tunze Master DOC skimmers but fits in this one. For more finer bubbles (I believe the part number is Tunze 3130.16) With Ozone connection nipple

Buying used is a little iffy though i guess... it's $700 less than new which is too good of a deal and worrys me.
Opinions?

That's Tunze's older line of skimmers. They are OK, but the newer 9010/15/20 line is better. I wouldn't try modding a skimmer if you're just starting out. Get something that's plug-and-play.

blaster
08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
check your pm.I have a h&s for sale,only two months old.

andresont
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
That's Tunze's older line of skimmers. They are OK, but the newer 9010/15/20 line is better. I wouldn't try modding a skimmer if you're just starting out. Get something that's plug-and-play.

I am the seller of this skimmer .
This nozzle is plug and play so is the skimmer, and it does come with original nozzle too.

andresont
08-15-2007, 10:35 PM
What about this one?

Opinions?

I got it used too. that is why i sell for 249$.
Roger Vitko from Tunze USA was first original owner of this skimmer.
I also bought an axtra skimmer cup from Roger, and also i bought a newer nozzle from Tunze Canadian distributor that is being used in new line of Tunze 900 series skimmers and produces more much finer bubbles
It is in excelent condition, works perfectly, very clean and quiet.
I wanted this skimmer for long time and was looking for it. But now i cant use it because my system end up being different from what was planned originally.

Skimmerking
08-15-2007, 11:51 PM
if your looking for a plug and play Blaster has a hell of a deal, on a H&S skimmer and a hell of a price. I was buying it from him ,but other things more serious came up ... get it before it goes :mrgreen:

spencerC
08-16-2007, 06:19 AM
i'm just a little bit worried buying used because you can never be 100% sure about anything, and you can't really go back to the person to get it replaced if it doesn't work.

Plus i've heard skimmer technology has improved greatly in the past few years.

I'm not saying these used skimmers you guys have aren't great,
but i hope you can put yourself in my shoes!

Chaloupa
08-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I have an H&S in my tank and think it is great! A 2 month old H&S would be a very very good idea! IMO

Captainhemo
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread but is the H&S an in sump skimmer ? What are the dimensions ?

christyf5
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
i'm just a little bit worried buying used because you can never be 100% sure about anything, and you can't really go back to the person to get it replaced if it doesn't work.

Plus i've heard skimmer technology has improved greatly in the past few years.

I'm not saying these used skimmers you guys have aren't great,
but i hope you can put yourself in my shoes!

FWIW, I've bought all my skimmers used (upgraded over the years) and for the most part its allowed me to purchase a skimmer that I would never be able to afford new. Do your research on the skimmer that interests you and then ask questions of the seller. For the most part, by doing the research you'll quickly learn which skimmers have a good/bad reputation and which work well/need modifications. :biggrin:

Tyson
07-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Don't forget the MSX for $309.00 from marine solutions.
that's my next skimmer.