PDA

View Full Version : Orange Spotted Filefish

iandehombre
08-14-2007, 06:11 AM
There is a orange spotted filefish at King Ed petshop, is there anyway to keep that fish in a reef tank?

bv_reefer
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I was at king ed pet the other day and know exactly which one you're talking about, i don't have any filefish, but was reading about that species, the orangespotted filefish that is, and from what i've read its often mistaken with the longnose filefish who only eats coral polyps, however the names are interchangeable within that species so choose carefully -heres a link for the one that exclusively eats coral polyps (acro's especially) >>http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/filefishes/orangespottedfilefish/

Big Al's BC
08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
The Orange spotted filefish Oxymonacanthus longirostris does feed on coral polyps in the wild and usually hides amongst the branches of various staghorn corals, in particular Acropora formosa.
We only import this fish from Vanuatu and so far, they have accepted frozen foods, in particular brine shrimp. This fish imported from areas such as Indonesia and the Philippines are much more difficult to feed, if not impossible. We do not import very many, but if you are interested you can contact Lisa in Burnaby or Angelo in Richmond for their availability.

Big Al's BC

iandehombre
08-15-2007, 04:10 AM
I did some research on those fish, they are pretty hard to keep. I hope it goes to a good home.

bv_reefer
08-15-2007, 04:50 AM
-yup not a big fan of filefish but there are some that have spectacular coloration, whitespotted file, colored file, and fantail file to name a few