PDA

View Full Version : vacation?

hamsik97
08-14-2007, 12:47 AM
What if you don't have anyone to babysit your fish tank while you're on vacation? Do they have something like fish daycare at fish stores where you can bring your fish for a visit and have them in one separate tank till you come back?
Jenna

P.S. something tells me there is no such thing... :sad:

Moogled
08-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Vacations are a bad thing when you have an expensive reef tank to maintain and monitor every single day.

Just ask any of the members here who thought they could enjoy a 2 week holiday and came back to a tank of destruction. I wouldn't bring my fish to a LFS to have them look after them while I'm gone since it's too risky.

marie
08-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Vacation? whats that? :lol:

hamsik97
08-14-2007, 01:13 AM
I haven't been on vacation for over 4 years, but eventually I might go somewhere. Or not :)
Jenna

christyf5
08-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Hah not if you have a full reef, who can afford it :razz:

If I'm only going to be gone a few days I usually don't worry about feeding the fish, my fish are fed well enough that they can go without for a couple days. I'm more concerned about heat (in summer anyways).

Its usually not too hard to find someone that will take pity on you and watch your tank :)

michika
08-14-2007, 01:22 AM
I used to have someone watch my tank for me if it was for an extended period of time. I would pay in cash, or frags, or both. I gave me some peace of mind.

Parker
08-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I have a family member watch over mine when I'm out of town. Other then that you could find a trust worthy member of this board to look after your tank. One other option is to have a non reef friend care for the tank and provide them with emergency contact numbers for people who know about reef tanks that could help them out in the event of something major.

Robb

EmilyB
08-14-2007, 06:53 AM
We had a fish store employee tanksit once. I was missing a marine betta and the tank was cavitating when we returned. :neutral:

michika
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
That scares me!

We had a fish store employee tanksit once. I was missing a marine betta and the tank was cavitating when we returned. :neutral:

untamed
08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
That's why this board is so valuable. Get out and meet fellow reefkeepers. I bet you'll find someone nearby who has the passion and experience to give you peace of mind.

I'm also looking at webcams and internet access solutions so I can "check in" from afar.

Geofrog
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I did leave my fish once at a fish store, before I joined Canreef, for them to watch while my tank cycled. Not cheap and I did lose some fish while they were there. Now I just get a neighbour to check in on the tank daily and feed the fish and corals. I have talked them through correcting a problem over the phone once which ended well. Let's just say I would trust a neighbour more than I would a fish store.

michika
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I've also been looking at webcams, and I eventually hope to have both underwater and non-underwater camera to watch my tank with.

hamsik97
08-14-2007, 06:21 PM
That's a smart idea to get a camera! But imagine how painful it would be to watch you tank spilled all over the floor and all the fish dying and you watching helpless from a beatch. Can't help anyway + one big scewed up vacation.
Jenna