PDA

View Full Version : anemone's

Phanman
08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Ok so i purchased a white anemone with purple/rose tips on them and know that when they become healthy they color up to brown with purple/rose tips like mine has. My question is what do vendors do to them that make them white or bleached out? It looks beautiful when they are white with colored tips. Any way to reproduce this and still keep the anemone healthy?

rigger11
08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
a bleached out anenome is not heathy in my understanding.. i could be wrong

howdy20012002
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I personally haven't done anything to an anemone to make it change colours.
I think something like that would be unethical for vendors to attempt to change the natural colour of items and would like to believe vendors wouldn't attempt to do so.
The stress of the move is most likely the cause of the loss of colour.
From the description of the anemone, sounds like you have a condylactus.
In my experience, some condylactus are the white with the pink tips, while some are the more brownish colour.
Anemones, like pretty much everything else in this hobby will change colouration dependant on water condition, lights and anything else that could be different.
There is nothing, that I am aware of, to make anemones change colours to desired colouration
HTH
Neal

digital-audiophile
08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I learned the hard way not to buy white anemone's. I have what turns out to be a bleached sebae in my tank right now. I bought it becuase the white with vibrant purple tips caught my attention. Once again it comes down to reading, reading & reading some more. Now I am fighting an uphill battle to get this little guy back to health.

Phanman
08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Its a Sebae Anemone. Mine was very easy to nurse back to health and is doing great (tripled in size). Im not saying the vendor bleached it or anything, probably the supplier bleached it or it was stressed during shipping. But the local fish stores here ive noticed get bleached ones. I did my homework on them before i bought it and new it was bleached and would turn brown once i nursed it back to health. But it looks so nice bleached and was wondering if i could do anything to the anemone to get it back to white without hurting it. Probably not but its worth asking.

Aquattro
08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
no, nothing healthy you can do to keep it white. The only coloring done by vendors (more often suppliers) is to ship them in food coloring. I've seen anemones come out of bags with yellow or red water, it's really sad, but it happens.

digital-audiophile
08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Its a Sebae Anemone. Mine was very easy to nurse back to health and is doing great (tripled in size). Im not saying the vendor bleached it or anything, probably the supplier bleached it or it was stressed during shipping. But the local fish stores here ive noticed get bleached ones. I did my homework on them before i bought it and new it was bleached and would turn brown once i nursed it back to health. But it looks so nice bleached and was wondering if i could do anything to the anemone to get it back to white without hurting it. Probably not but its worth asking.

What did you do to get it to come back? I've been trying to feed mine daily but is not readily accepting food. I am using mysis and small chopped silversides but it only accepts the food about 1 out of 3 tries.

Phanman
08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I spot fed mine mysis shrimp at first and it took it everytime. After a few weeks of spot feeding it, i didnt spot feed it anymore and now it just eats whatever i feed the fish and coral. Photoplankton, mysis, and coral frenzy. It has recently moved to a location with more flow and has stayed there for a month so far.

Didnt do anything special thou.