PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of saltwater

bassman
08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi all,

I just moved to an acerage in BC and I am starting to think about setting up a new reef tank.

While planning the system it occured to me that I am on a septic system here and I am unsure about disposing of the saltwater after doing water changes.

I am not sure about this is or not but I was always told that if you want to kill something and the soil it's growing in all one has to do is pour some salt on it. If this is the case wouldn't pouring saltwater down my sink and into my septic tank kill all the soil in the septic field?

Does anyone have an experience with this??

Thanks

christyf5
08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I used to dump SW in the back garden, until my roommate informed me it was killing her magnolia plant. With this in mind, I started using it on weeds in the driveway, no luck killing those bloody things :confused: I have also poured about 15G on grass before with no detrimental effects.

PoonTang
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I pour mine out on my grass not in my septic system because the salt will corrode the concrete septic tank and pump parts.

michika
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I toss mine down the bathtub with lots of water to weaken the salt content. Unfortunately since I live in an apartment I don't really have much of a choice.

When I lived in my house I used to dump it in my alley on my rock & sand type driveway for weed killing purposes. Like Christy's attempts, it never was sucessful at killing weeds. :(

rigger11
08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I used to dump SW in the back garden, until my roommate informed me it was killing her magnolia plant. With this in mind, I started using it on weeds in the driveway, no luck killing those bloody things :confused: I have also poured about 15G on grass before with no detrimental effects.

grass is atually a weed.. so go figure u cant kill it with the salt water

bubblepuffer
08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I just flushed down the toilet =) kill gems and done it for many years so far no problem.

Slick Fork
08-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Your septic tank relies on a bacterial reaction to break up the "stuff" and turn it into grey water, salt water in large amounts will kill it. I just pump mine out the window onto the laneway.

robzilla
08-14-2007, 10:57 PM
i dump mine on the grass too

Quagmire
08-14-2007, 11:33 PM
I'll answer the same as last time this was asked."Neighbors flowerbed :twised: "

bassman
08-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks everybody, the driveway it is I guess. LOL

bv_reefer
08-15-2007, 02:43 AM
-been dumping it on the weeds in the back yard, wasn't sure about dumping it on the grass, but the weeds don't seem to mind unfortuneately...:neutral:

Doug
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
So for those that dont suggest dumping it in a tank & field, where does all the water go when using a water softener ?