PDA

View Full Version : New Maroon Clown Won't Eat

Ielliah
08-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Once my 30 gallon tank was ready with live rock for 3 weeks I added a maroon clown to start cycling. He's been in the tank for 48 hours now without eating. He likes to swim in the back of the tank behind the rock. I tried feeding him some frozen mysis shrimp today but he was not interested. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will check the water levels tomorrow but I don't think they will have changed much since I checked them 2 days ago.

balistidae
08-11-2007, 02:56 AM
i wouldnt be worrying yet, it is not uncommon for fish not to eat for many days after being introduced.

Chaloupa
08-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Am I reading this wrong? You added the clown to START the cycle..you hadn't cycled the tank? There's a problem if you are using the clown to cycle the tank...could you make this a bit more clear??

Ielliah
08-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I have cycled the tank with live rock for 3 weeks and checked nitrite and nitrate levels throughout before I added the one maroon clown.

krisalexander
08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I have had luck with feeding live brine, when the brine swim around the clowns go crazy and eat them...I have used this on numerous fish that wouldnt eat..Hope that helps

kris

Redrover
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM
One should always make sure they're eating and what before you spend the dollars...ya there eating, don't take the store's word...have them feed them.
I had one fish [ Regal Angel ] at Hidden Reef for a week until it ate, now he's
a great eater even the odd pellet.

" It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere "

RJ

kevinpaz
08-14-2007, 02:37 AM
he's still not eating unfortunately....

he didn't look too good in the store - we should have spent the extra time to hang around and watch him some more...

i thought he was dead a few times today - but he keeps coming back to life... he's still not eating so it doesn't look good... :-(

scsi
09-07-2007, 07:07 AM
imo, 3 weeks after adding LR is way too soon......
for any creature..... even cheap *** snails.... let alone Clowns...
maybe 3 months....... but that's just me.
All I know is when I get antsey for something new.... I think back to the Cardinal Rule of Reef Keeping.......
Good things occur in a captive reef very slowly.... bad things happen very quickly.......

Salmon King
09-08-2007, 06:36 AM
wI wouldnt worry.Clown fish are not one of those fish that are hard to get to eat.Just put in tiny amounts of brine shrimp as to not pallute your tank.Give it time as its a little stressed.