PDA

View Full Version : carbon and impact on PH

mrcopitr
12-31-2002, 07:10 PM
Hi ,

Can someone tell me if the use of Carbon in a reef, has an impact on the PH level. It seems when I use carbon that my PH drops substantially.

Does the carbon remove the Kalk...??? If it does this could explain the droping PH...

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!

Marco

Michael
12-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Hi ,

Can someone tell me if the use of Carbon in a reef, has an impact on the PH level. It seems when I use carbon that my PH drops substantially.

Does the carbon remove the Kalk...??? If it does this could explain the droping PH...

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!

Marco

I never thought of that. My PH has been on the low side, and I am using carbon. I have been trying to bring it up by using baking soda without too much success. Perhaps a more knowing person can confirm this interaction between carbon and ph.

Michael

mrcopitr
12-31-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi Michael,

Do you use carbon on a constant basis....I've personnaly use it almost constantly for the last month....keeps my water crystal clear....but my PH is dropping....hope someone can help

Marco

Tau2301
12-31-2002, 08:44 PM
Using baking soda will reduce your pH.

Doug
12-31-2002, 09:29 PM
I have never heard or seen carbon have an effect on ph. At least with good carbon. I use it 24/7. Always have.

PH, is more oxygen/co2 related. I dont believe in the skimmerless view that powerheads on the surface alone, can replace skimmers or overflows for creating oxygen/co2 exchange. Airstones or powerheads pushing water from bottom to top can.

My ph with nothing else changed is;
8.0 to 8.1 with the skimmer & overflows off.
8.1 to 8.2 with overflows running but no skimmer.
8.2 & up with skimmer & overflows in operation.

Also needed for good ph control is a decent steady alk. level. The addition of a 2-part, like B-Ionic, C-Balance or Kent 2-part can help. Also the regular addition of kalkwasser to replace evaporated water will help. Should be added slowly at night when ph is lowest. Kalk has a ph of 12.