PDA

View Full Version : should I ever bother with this?

hamsik97
08-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Went to see this 29g bio cube today... There is nothing in it except lr and two anemones. All fish has died, some stuff is floating all over, all lr is covered with algae, so as the sand. Is it even usable for a beginner? And if yes, how much is it worth?
Jenna

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
No. You are just setting yourself up to take over someone else's head ache. There are setups out there that are more or less plug & play. This one (as you can already guess) will require you battle the other person's major algae & other problems. Not worth it unless you're getting the system for next to nothing. For a beginner, it'll be more work & discouragement than fun.

Anthony

hamsik97
08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks Anthony, kinda glad to hear this... :)
Jenna

niloc16
08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
dont do it my friend, like anthony said it is WAY more work then you need

Der_Iron_Chef
08-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I would personally love that challenge....but I'm also not just beginning. So yeah--I would echo what the others have already said. How much is he/she asking, just out of curiosity?

i have crabs
08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
im shure the tank its self is fine except needing new bulbs possibly wich will run you $60, if you buy it i would plan on possibly getting rid of everything in it.
im thinking about getting rid of my bc29 and stand for around the $500 range but im not commited to selling it yet for shure, it also dosent look anything like that mess but depending what they want for it it might be a good deal.

hamsik97
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
He wants $400, I offered $250 and he said no.
Anthony, what would be a next to nothing price for this one?
Jenna

Skimmer Juice
08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Like crabs said , there is nothing wrong with the tank, it seems like the owner is to lazy to do a water change. I would not buy for 400 as for an extra 100 bucks you could get a brand new one.

Swags
08-10-2007, 06:01 PM
I would personally offer $100 for this. Looks like a lot of work to get in to good shape. .25$ on the dollar, if equipment is in bad shape, is fair in my opinion.

DanG
08-10-2007, 06:02 PM
looks more like anthalias than anemones to me.

fishoholic
08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
looks more like anthalias than anemones to me.

I was thinking the same thing, that or xenia. I personally would not pay more than $200 for that set up. It looks like a lot of work would need to be done in order to get it back in shape.

Moogled
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Seconded.

For 400 bucks, you can get alot more than what he has.

Joe Reefer
08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
That tank still looks better than some LFS tanks I've seen. :mrgreen:

hamsik97
08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm sure this one isn't the worst one out there, but I wouldn't really know where to start, unles Drew would come over to enjoy the challenge ;)
Jenna

Redrover
08-10-2007, 10:24 PM
:twised: I'd stay away from this one...to me it would be nothing but one big headache,
it's giving me one just looking at it...your new...say away

RJ

" It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere "

ponokareefer
08-10-2007, 10:43 PM
If you were looking at getting that tank, I'd suggest cooking/power washing the rock, and some big time cleaning of everything else. For $400, you could almost buy the equipment brand new, rather than used. All the livestock would be almost worthless after a thorough cleaning as well. If you are new at this, I'd stear well clear of it.

JCHawaii
08-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Went to see this 29g bio cube today... There is nothing in it except lr and two anemones. All fish has died, some stuff is floating all over, all lr is covered with algae, so as the sand. Is it even usable for a beginner? And if yes, how much is it worth?
Jenna

IMO, I would suggest you save your money and buy some good books instead, educate yourself better so you know what you are looking at and can make a more informed decision. :biggrin:

JCH

i have crabs
08-11-2007, 03:44 AM
does it have the actual biocube stand or is it something else?,if it does i would stick with $250 since you should be buying $80-$100 worth of new rock and a $50 powerhead and 2 new bulbs for $60

adidas
08-11-2007, 04:25 AM
it wouldn't be that hard at all to fix that tank up. throw away the sand, do alot of water changes. turn of the lights for 4 days and no more algea.

that being said $250 would probably be the highest i'd pay.

hamsik97
08-11-2007, 05:21 AM
It has a black DIY stand and 25lbs of life rock. No modifications or anything like that. The owner said he doesn't need the money, but wouldn't sell it to me even for $250, which is obviously already too much.
Jenna

fishoholic
08-11-2007, 01:15 PM
It has a black DIY stand and 25lbs of life rock. No modifications or anything like that. The owner said he doesn't need the money, but wouldn't sell it to me even for $250, which is obviously already too much.
Jenna

If he's not willing to bargain then some poor fool will be suck in a bad situation. Obviously you are no fool :biggrin:

i have crabs
08-11-2007, 01:41 PM
ill be deciding if im selling mine in the next 2 weeks and upgrading to a jbj 28g hqi, but i think im firm on $550 but the tank is mint ,it has the real biocube stand lots of rock, a whole bunch of corals,propper powerhead ans probly a few inverts running around,if your intrested i could take some pics for you

Der_Iron_Chef
08-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm sure this one isn't the worst one out there, but I wouldn't really know where to start, unles Drew would come over to enjoy the challenge ;)
Jenna

I definitely would! Pity it's a 10-hour drive, though. lol....

fishface
08-11-2007, 04:26 PM
here ya go, $248 and brand new...a few pounds of live rock is easy to come by cheaply from some reefer who's getting outta the hobby. buying LR from someones tank is usually a good deal cause you get a reduced price and there's much more life on it. check the link : http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2209/Aquapod-24G-w-2x32w-PC/

in my opinion, ya you could make that tank work but if it's your first one, you're really at a disadvantage just because you've already got quite a learning curve with a fresh set up...let alone paying to inherit a bunch of someone else's problems.

mark
08-11-2007, 04:52 PM
The All in One systems are nice but caution with the type as the biocubes and such, the tank design itself will limit what you can keep due size (no tang) and lighting/flow.

Snappy
08-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Jenna
Ooh, that's yucky. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.