PDA

View Full Version : A couple MH light questions

MikeP
08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I have 2 pendant style mogul base MH lights over my tank. They are what I call lampshade style :question: (see pic). I have 175 watt 14k bulbs in there and my questions are...

1) The inside of the pendant is white in color, is that typical of this style? I'm wondering because I thought I would see a bit of blue in the tank with the 14k bulbs but there isn't even a hint of blue. I was thinking that is because of the white reflective surface in the pendant and even if I bought 20k bulbs it might not make any difference.

2) There are no markings on any of the lighting equipment that says it runs 175 watt bulbs. I only put 175w in because that's what was in there when I picked the stuff up. How can I tell if the ballasts are rated for a higher (or lower) wattage bulb?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/190g%20Tank/IMG_3224.jpg

Thanks for any info

michika
08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Can we see a photo of the inside of the reflectors please?

danny zubot
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not an expert but if the balasts aren't rated for the same wattage as the bulbs, they simply won't work, or they'll blow if the balasts are too high.

As for why you aren't seeing the blueness that you thought you would, it coould be for a number of reasons. I.E. Some bulbs don't run at a true 14K even though they say so. Do you know the make of the bulbs?

saltynuts
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
you might have to let the bulbs burn in.
just my 0.02c

Static
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
if it's a magnetic ballast it should have one of these numbers on it somewhere.

150W M107 (It seems that M107 and M57 are used interchangeably for either 150W or 175W. I think the Bulb should have a
matching number on it.)
175W M57
250W M58
400W M59
1000W M47
1500W M48
1650W M112

MikeP
08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I will take a pic of inside when the lights are off, but it's just painted white. The bulbs have been going for 3 months, how long does it take for them to burn in? I will check the bulb manufacturer when I get home but pulserite seems to ring a bell. How do I tell if I have magnetic ballasts?

Chin_Lee
08-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I will take a pic of inside when the lights are off, but it's just painted white. The bulbs have been going for 3 months, how long does it take for them to burn in? I will check the bulb manufacturer when I get home but pulserite seems to ring a bell. How do I tell if I have magnetic ballasts?

the magnetic ballast are heavy and looks like a block of metal. open up the case if you can to look for any markings on the ballasts. thats the only way you can be sure of what you have.

MikeP
08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
the magnetic ballast are heavy and looks like a block of metal. open up the case if you can to look for any markings on the ballasts. thats the only way you can be sure of what you have.

I'll check that out...just have to wait until they're cool enough to pick up.

MikeP
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Here is a pic of the inside of the pendant. Is this normal or oddball? The pic had to be taken with the flash off but you get the idea.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/190g%20Tank/IMG_3822.jpg

michika
08-10-2007, 03:39 PM
From the photo it looks like the inside of the reflectors is painted white? I personally have never seen a MH reflector like what you have. Sorry I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I'll see if I can get KrazyKuch to look at this thread as he is an electrician by trade. Hopefully he can give you some answers.

MikeP
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that the reason my 14k bulbs don't give off any blue is because of this white reflector. I haven't been in the hobby for that long but I've never seen any other pendants like this.

Quinster
08-10-2007, 05:26 PM
My friend used to run the exact same pendants as that, as well one pet store chain here ran them while still keeping salt systems and they were all white inside just like yours.

I know this doesn't help the color issue you are experiencing, but those pendants being white inside is not unusual.

HTH

Quinn

Swags
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
The reflectors should be white, white contains all colors, therefore will reflect any color you shine on them. I agreed with earlier posts that sometimes the color reflected is not what it is rated at, very subjective.

ron101
08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Those are called 'bell pendants' and they are almost always white on the inside.

Your colour issues are most likely bulb related. Many bulbs don't achieve their stated colour temperature. What brand are they? BTW 14000K should only have a slight blue tinge to them and that can easily be lost when tank water 'yellows' over time.

Sanjay's MH database has a good listing of lamps and their actual corrected colour temperature (CCT): http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

Check the brand of your bulbs and look them up and see how they actually measured.