PDA

View Full Version : Larger Nano System Comparison

Stoll
08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Below are listed the larger nano systems that I am most interested in so far, as well as links to their websites. Any opinions, advice, gossip etc etc are welcome! Also if you know of any other larger nanos feel free to mention them as well!

Red Sea Max - http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_specs.html

JBJ Nano 28g HQI - http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/index1.html

Cadlights 1835-HQIX - http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=116

I'm leaning towards the Cadlights system so far. I'm not 100% sure on what I'd like in the tank yet, I certainly would like to try my hand at clams, and I love purple tip Elegance anemones but I don't think a tank this size would be very good for one. Depending on how well the tank produces pods I'd get a Mandarin, and possibly a mated pair of clowns and a nice anemone of some kind. I'm sure at some point I'd like to give some SPS' a shot as I've never had adequate lighting to do so before.

christyf5
08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Wow that cadlights setup is pretty skookum :cool:

Eduardo
08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I've had the jbj 28g hq1 for a couple of months. It's my first foray into salt and so far I am very happy with how well the unit runs and how sleek the unit is. I got the tank and stand for $800 and you may have to get a chiller with the jbj.

That cadlight system looks good . Only comment is the cooling unit looks to simply be a fan. May have lots of top-ups.

michika
08-09-2007, 05:00 PM
The Cadlight system is really interesting looking. Were you able to find any examples of the system running?

When I was searching out my nano system I looked at the Red Sea Max, and while I liked a lot of the features I found it to be lacking in two areas; flow from the return, and lighting. I say lacking in lighting because I keep sps and clams. The flow is easily upgradable, just a bigger pump, and possibly adding on some loc-line. The Red Sea was only available in one local store when I looked earlier this year and found its price tag $1,400 with stand, to be a significant deterant.

What are you looking for in your nano? What are you wanting ot keep?

andrewsk
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I love the Cadlight system! Thanks for the link. I think this will be my first Nano!

crusty1
08-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I went with the RSM. I love the way the cabinet and set up looks. What I am not a big fan of is the proprietary lighting. Each of the T5's are 50% actinic and 50% 10000K. The cadlight sytem looks pretty neat, however I don't know why they would say no chiller needed. 150W MH will add a lot of radiant heat to 34g of water, and if you can't cool it down in the warm months you will need a chiller.
I purchased my RSM a week ago and with the really nice stand and taxes was under $1000.
Chris

Stoll
08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Here's a link to a nano-reef forum thread where they are discussing the CADlights systems.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113625

fencer
08-14-2007, 12:53 AM
A friend of mine does house staging for real estate he is currently considering the CAD and Red Sea. It might be possible to get some of these (CAD)into Canada. PM if you have any interest. I imagine the price would be similiar to retail site in US

Sarahs
08-30-2007, 07:17 PM
just let u guys know I am getting the red sea max .. for 869 + tax, from hidden reef in abbotsford. saw in downtown vancouver for 1400 + tax .. just have to shop around!
Sarah

Oscar
10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
just let u guys know I am getting the red sea max .. for 869 + tax, from hidden reef in abbotsford. saw in downtown vancouver for 1400 + tax .. just have to shop around!
Sarah

Sarah:

I just noticed the post on Hidden Reef as well. Can you give us a review when it arrives?

grant

Sarahs
10-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Well I love the style of it.. but you have to put it all together into the "one cord deal" takes a bit.. however, the RSM has a heating issue with the lights... i had to buy a chiller rated for up to 72 gal (the smaller one rated for 29 didnt keep it cool) sooooo i'm into it for $1700 tank and chiller.. kind of depressing..... other than that .. i'm very happy with it!
Sarah

Oscar
10-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Stoll:

Have you sen any of these 3 tanks up close? Any here in the Okanagan?

There is realy very little in the way of information on the CAD website about their system. Not even very good photos. Tough to make a decision when you may not see the system in person.

Blue Ram
10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I purchased the Red Sea Max setup a month ago for $900 plus tax. Very nice looking setup. Have not had any issues so far but I'm new to salt tanks.

Reefersteve
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I've had a RedSea Max up since March of this year. I am keeping two types of monti's and an acro as well as others. The lighting so far does not seam to be an issue for me. The only mods I have done is removing all the stock filter media and I run a wood air stone in my skimmer to help it produce more skimmate. So far I am happy.

HTH

Steve

Puff
11-28-2007, 01:11 AM
ive read that there have been electrocution concerns with the cadlight hoods. and shoddy workmanship (especially considering the price). one guy ended up having to rewire his hood by himself because the guy had botched the job so bad. i think one of the lights was grounded to the metal lid...(????lol)

Slipstream
11-28-2007, 06:23 AM
So basically a nano system is just a set up that includes pretty much everything u need to start a feer system?

KennyKen
11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Has anyone owned/owns a aquapod 24g 70w HQI?

Im not reading much review on the JBJ on this thread either.
from other reviews ive read, the JBJ has been the most popular thus far,
but im curious if a chiller is needed with the JBJ