PDA

View Full Version : Clam

Redrover
08-07-2007, 10:15 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0168.jpg

This is my second clam...lost it awhile back...like to get another, but ?
Question: should it be placed on a rock or sandbed...feed and how often

Thanks; RJ

Snappy
08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Either way is fine as long as you have sufficient lighting. I have some in both areas. If you ever want to move it to a new location the sandbed is easier, when they attach to a rock they are there for good unless you cut it off.

Redrover
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Greg never had much luck...light not a problem...shallow sandbed, I believe the foot goes through sand and attach to the glass [ right ]
Should beable to peel off using a credit card ?

RJ

Quagmire
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
If your sand is shallow,just set a flat piece of rock under the sand where you want the clam to sit.It will attach to the rock instead of the glass,and you can easily move it if you have to.

marie
08-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I tried putting my clam up in the rocks but it kept leaping off so finally I left it where it landed in the sand :mrgreen:

fishface
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
some clams prefer a rock to sit on some prefer a sandbed, my crocea for instance is on rock. eventually if it likes where it is it will attach, i had a clam for over a year that never did attach. i move it to another tank and it attached in a few days.

looks like yours is a crocea as well but i'm not 100% sure of that...might want to research further at wwwdotclamsdirectdotcom

michika
08-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I have a few of each species on and off the rocks in my tank. With sufficient lighting you should be fine. I don't feed my clams per say, but they do seem to enjoy phytoplankton, and frozen rotifers.

Redrover
08-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks all for your input...I like the sand so I'll stick with sand if and when I try my luck with another clam
RJ

Renegade
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
put the clam onto a upside down shell, or use putty to make it a base, i have read that moving a clam once its "foot" have anchored somewhere may kill it.