PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm eating Nudibranchs -Chelidonura varians

Chaloupa
08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Has anyone ever seen this Nudibranch;Chelidonura varians for sale in B.C.??? It is also called a Blue Velvet Nudibranch. I am in need of some, but the hitch is they ONLY eat flatworms so then will be lending them out....if you have seen some let me know. There was a guy in Ontario that got some in but they sold out very quickly..... here's a pic.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/194544.jpg

Chin_Lee
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
very hard to come by - i was looking afor one back when my tank was infested with flatworms. I have some in my tank now but not in such of an infestation proportions yet so I'll wait. They do look cool and apparently eat flatworms like tangs eating nori.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
But what do they eat when the flatworms are gone?

christyf5
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
They starve, kind of like the predicament with sea hares, except you can't supplement their diet, you just send them off to the next happy customer.

IPZ
08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey Sarah,

I get those in from time to time, and can let you know the next time I have one.

Cheers...
Scott

DJKoop
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey Sarah,

I get those in from time to time, and can let you know the next time I have one.

Cheers...
Scott

If thats the case I may be interested in one as well.

Chaloupa
08-08-2007, 12:01 AM
As mentioned...they will starve if not getting flatworms...they MUST eat flatworms so once I have dealt with the nasty flatworm infestation in my Mom's tank I will most likely be passing them around on a "rental" as I am sure that I will have flatworms again with the amount of tanks I have!!!!

Sebae again
08-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Seen them a couple times at J&L.

Chaloupa
08-08-2007, 05:37 AM
thanks to IPZ and Hidden Reef I may just end up with some of these...

andresont
08-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Seen them a couple times at J&L.

Yep, seen it @ J&L .

JCHawaii
08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Given the short lifespan of these animals (about one year?) I don't imagine they will be around long enough in your tank to do much good, let alone "pass around" to other hobbyists. Also these are pretty specific as to which flatworms they will eat ... what ones do you have?

There are several wrasse species that will eat flatworms and would last much longer in your tank since they will eat other things.

On the other hand, if you increase flow and remove detritus in a regular basis their population should drop anyway.

JCH

Chaloupa
08-11-2007, 07:39 AM
hmmm I have talked to a few people that found them to be quite useful and worked well for them, then were passed on to someone else. Will have to see...

Snappy
08-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Has anyone ever seen this Nudibranch;Chelidonura varians for sale in B.C.??? It is also called a Blue Velvet Nudibranch. I am in need of some, but the hitch is they ONLY eat flatworms so then will be lending them out....if you have seen some let me know. There was a guy in Ontario that got some in but they sold out very quickly..... here's a pic.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/194544.jpg
Is this picture suitable? I believe that it shows " full frontal nudi-ty":razz:

Chaloupa
08-11-2007, 05:46 PM
:lol:

christyf5
08-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Is this picture suitable? I believe that it shows " full frontal nudi-ty":razz:

Actually thats its backside :wink: Nice one though!