PDA

View Full Version : sump help

sea gnome
01-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Ok, was going to get stuff for sump. Ie: pumps and phoned around, seems like people were trying to sell me little giants and not mag 12's. Thoughts?????? Also what size pvc piping is everyone using. Seastar has agreed to drill tank and will provide 1.5" bulkhead fitting for $35.
One shop said I would need 2 holes for a 90G. Thoughts???? Do I need a pump size of mag 12 to power diy skimmer or could I gett away with something smaller. That's all for now but I know there'll be more later!!!

Aquattro
01-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Rachel, a MAG 12 will be sufficient for your return or a skimmer. You could go smaller depending on skimmer design. I think Bruce's skimmer could get away with a MAG9.5.
The advantage of the MAG pump over the little giant, aside from cost, is that it is submersible. This comes in handy.
Whether you need 1 or 2 holes is a matter of preference...I use 1 for an overflow and have my return come up and over the back of the tank. I use a 1-1/2" pipe for my overflow, but it reduces to 1-1/4" at the bulkhead. This causes some back pressure in the stand pipe and helps quite the Durso style drain.

StirCrazy
01-22-2002, 07:33 PM
sea gnome, ws that a hold drilled and a bulkhead for 35.00? I have a 90 and I got 2 1.5" bulkheas drilled in it but that was just my preference. if I find one is enuf to handle my drains I can use the other for a closed loop or something.
for pumps you can get a magdrive 12 from the hydroponic shop on sook road by 6 mile, for 150.00 - 10% (they give you 10% off for any order over 100.00) I wish I knew that befor I bought mine for 159.99 from J&L's hehe

Steve

Silverfish
01-22-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi Rachel, little giant pumps are nice, you can oil the motor, it seems like good quality, and I think that they will last for a long time. The only things I have found with them are : they are noisier than a mag, expensive and mine produced micro-bubbles. (had one as a return pump for a while till I got a mag 12)

Go for the mag IMO

sea gnome
01-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Stircrazy, yes one hole (25) and one bulkhead (10)
The local glass shop was going to charge $30 and 50% the time he broke the tanks hmmm..... NOT MINE

I found a Little giant 5-msp(doesn't have Q in model number that designates it for aquarium use though), that the hydroponics store on Burnside W. which he says pumps 1200gph for $110. It will heat the water somewhat. The $150 on Sooke Rd sounds good, do you have the name or address? A water purifer place suggests little giant are very reliable but....I'm dithering still.

I am trying to find the store in Keating X Rd area that sells that everbright aluminuim, can anyone help? images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

sea gnome
01-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Excuse all the grimlins, I am not a computer wizard and thought they weren't working as they didn't show up in post so I kept trying to get them to display!!!!

Troy F
01-22-2002, 09:41 PM
I would be very careful with any pump that isn't designated for the specific use you are going to put it to. I've seen various Little Giant pumps with high gph and low cost, I'd be concerned that they'd corrode. Little Giant pumps are reliable and mine has always been noisy. No micro bubbles though.

Aquattro
01-22-2002, 10:08 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sea gnome:
The $150 on Sooke Rd sounds good, do you have the name or address? <hr></blockquote>

Rachel, I've found all the hydroponics shops will match the other's prices. A MAG 12 should be $149 icl. tax. Tridon on Quadra will do this price.

StirCrazy
01-22-2002, 10:28 PM
the place on keating cross road told me that Cannot get this everbright anymore. what they can get is spectral aluminum, but it is 7.00/sq foot not 3 like the everbright was.

Steve