PDA

View Full Version : CAl and alk levels

Skimmerking
08-06-2007, 03:37 AM
well here is my problem, I changed my top off around to have it run kalk nad RO/DI water on my float wwitch so I dont have to dose, its working great however, my CAlis at 430 and my Alk is sittingat 14.0, shold I be worried , I am since the 14.0 is a bit high IMO. what should I do to drop the ALK down. the kalk is despenting with the float valve is in use just enough to regualte the float valve again.

any takers

mike

should I continue or add something to drop it down...

PoonTang
08-06-2007, 03:52 AM
I would let it sit for a couple of days with only RODI running for your top ups. Once your Alk is where you want it, probally 11 or so? just boost your cal back up if you need to with some calcium only addative. make sure you dont use a balanced addative. Then restart your Kalk.
hope this helps

danny zubot
08-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I would let it sit for a couple of days with only RODI running for your top ups. Once your Alk is where you want it, probally 11 or so? just boost your cal back up if you need to with some calcium only addative. make sure you dont use a balanced addative. Then restart your Kalk.
hope this helps

That will work to solve the immediate issue but a long term solution is needed. Are you able to dilute your Kalk solution so that it doesn't rise so high?

littlesilvermax
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
That will work to solve the immediate issue but a long term solution is needed. Are you able to dilute your Kalk solution so that it doesn't rise so high?

Or get some bigger corals that use up all the cal/alk.:mrgreen:

Skimmerking
08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
2000 comedians out of work and Ben's trying to be funny.....:mrgreen: smart a s s

Danny you said to dilute it take out some kalk that is mixed and add some fresh water to it...

littlesilvermax
08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
In all honesty Mike I would not dose any kalk until it is closer to 11 or even 10. I know most reefers run higher then NSW alk, but NSW is like 7.5, so I personally try not to go over 10.

Obviously you are using a fair bit of magnesium, or else you would have major precip issues, either that or your test kit is off.

Once alk gets to 10 and calcium is around 400 or so, then try rescaling yor dosing regime and test every few days to get it right.

Once you have it very close you will nto have to test often. I only test once a month and am never off more then about 0.5 dkh or 20 ppm cal.

You will get it.:biggrin:

danny zubot
08-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, but use less Kalk in the reactor from now on. Another thing i just thought of is; does your reactor use a doseing pump? If so, you may need to time how often your float valve opens up, in order to make sure you are getting an mixed dose of kalk. Hope this makes sense.

Skimmerking
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Just so you know Im not using a a Kalk Reactor

yes I do in a way, WHen I had my reactor going I would have it set on a drip for 1 drip every 2 seconds. sometimes I wouldnt be able to keep up and ended up having the RO/di be activated by the float switch.

With the tub that i have set up all i'm using is the float switch that is powered by the tub so all evaporation is getting kalk. may be I have too much kalk i went with 2 teaspoons for every gallon. When Doug was over he thought that was to much should I have used only 1 tsp for every gallon