PDA

View Full Version : Auto top off help...

MikeP
08-06-2007, 02:36 AM
I set up my JBJ ATO system today. I have a siphon issue, when ever the pump kicks in (maxi jet 900) as soon as it turns off a siphon is created so water continues to flow from the reservoir into my sump :frown:. The tubing runs up out of the reservoir strait for a few feet and the down to the sump return. The tube is not submersed in the sump (as per the instructions). Can someone give me a quick physics lesson or trick on how to stop this from happening.

Thanks

fkshiu
08-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Lower your resevoir pump or raise the outlet. The outlet at the sump should be higher than any point from the pump output onwards.

Pescador
08-06-2007, 03:35 AM
I have an siphon break hole in the tubing above the waterline of the reservoir (garbage can). It will spray some water so you might want a lid or keep it down far enough in the container so it doesn't matter. Keeping the outlet above the water in the sump will keep it from siphoning back the other way.

MikeP
08-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm kind of limited in how I run the hose and where the reservoir/pump is placed. The hose going into the sump is higher than the pump already. I'm going to re-position the hose into some left over PVC, that way I can put the hose higher up and not have water splashing into the sump when the ATO kicks in. I think I'll try to incorporate a siphon break too, I hadn't thought of that one.

Thanks for the help