PDA

View Full Version : Purple Prostrata placement..+ a couple others

Chaloupa
08-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I just acquired a Purple Prostrata frag (it's freakin gorgeous! thanks Bill!!) and am wondering what is best for placement I have 2x400w MH, T5's and a fairly good amount of flow...I am wondering if I can place it in direct strong flow or not...a few searches I have done have said yes, no and maybe so it's a bit confusing....the area I would "like" to put it in is quite high but not directly under the MH, and about 12" away from my Tunze 6080 that runs for 12 hours a day...too much flow????

Also, I "think" it's a Pocillipora (sp?) frag that I got from OA (thanks Janet!!) and am asking the same for it.....

to all who answer with experience or knowledge of this I thank you in advance....

christyf5
08-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I'd put the prostrata in a med to high flow area, best coloration will be higher up but I find purples are much easier to get coloration with than blues and pinks so I save my closer-to-the-light places for those colors. Don't forget to acclimate it to light as well (depending on what Bill had for lighting). The pocilipora, I find mine does best in an area of medium flow. Basically I find most sps is happier if the polyps are gently waving in the breeze (except for millis who seem to love it if they're super "windswept").

michika
08-06-2007, 01:42 AM
I think they would both be best in my tank :D I think we need some photos! Although since you sound rather attached to them, I would say go with what Christy said! My prostrata seems to like a strong medium flow, and my pocilipora likes the low end of a medium flow.

Chin_Lee
08-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Sarah i would ask Bill those questions. Whatever flow he has it in and level of lighting and placement in the tank it is in is where you should start off. Then monitor its growth and color to determine if you should move it elsewhere.

Chaloupa
08-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Hey Catherine! Yah, I'm sure they'd look great in your tank...NOT :lol:

Hey Chin....Bill had the prostrata on the sandbed....under the 400w .... that's where I've left it for the time being to acclimate to my tank...but was wondering on a long term placement for it's particular needs.

I think I'll go along as Christy had recommended...and move them up to where I initially had wanted them...except I'll move the Prostata to a less flow zone than originally planned.

Good to hear on the Mille's though...maybe I can put one of them in the area that has tons of flow and looks rather bare!

PoonTang
08-06-2007, 03:25 AM
C'mon quit teasing us...show us some pictures of the little beauties!!!!

Chaloupa
08-06-2007, 03:39 AM
:lol: I tried many times to get a decent picture....I mean it's not like they move or anything but I just so suck at taking aquarium pictures...will try again!

PoonTang
08-06-2007, 03:45 AM
...or you could just FRAG it and give me a piece and I'll post a picture.....:twised:

Chaloupa
08-06-2007, 04:07 AM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....:lol: good one PoonTang!

danny zubot
08-06-2007, 04:29 AM
I have a blue variant of prostrata and it definately colors upbbest under higher flow and higher lighting. They are hard to get a picture of too. No matter how nice the color might be they always seem to show up brown in the picture, at least when I take them.

Chaloupa
08-06-2007, 05:30 AM
I gotta agree Danny.......I have probably 40 or 50+ pictures (thank God for digital cameras and the "garbage" button) of lovely brown corals...that when looked at are yellow, pink, blue, purple...but in pictures brown, light brown, dark brown with hue of beige.... frustrating!

cprowler
08-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Shhhhhhhhhh……I was saving that Postrata for Chin….oh well I’ll cut one last frag. :mrgreen:

I have the colony about 12” from the surface under my 250w 10K XM and it gets the brunt of the 3600 gph from the dart on the CL. I guess it gets some of the light from the 400w side too.

To be safe you could start moving it toward where you want it, a few inches every couple of days. Keeping a close eye to see if it starts getting unhappy.

I’m so impatient that I would just plunk it where I wanted it, but take it slow I don’t want to cut any more of it. :mrgreen:

Chaloupa
08-06-2007, 06:27 AM
I wasn't going to say anything.......:mrgreen: (Chin I know ... NOTHING about anything to do with the Purple Prostrata...I'm innocent I tell you! INNOCENT!)

But I am also very impatient....I won't rush it ... too much! I am hoping to have it where I wanted to put it...but will see how it works out there!

cprowler
08-06-2007, 06:33 AM
:lol:

No worries...I'll get him a nice one too. :mrgreen: