PDA

View Full Version : used 29g Bio Cube

hamsik97
08-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Is it a good starting point for a first fish tank? It's currently running with lr and one fish. Do I need to buy anything else to make it happy?
Jenna

crusty1
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
I have a biocube 14 with live rock, mushrooms, ricordia, pulsing zenia, green star polyps, yellow polyps, zoos, macro algaes, snails and a few little gobies. I have left the set-up as supplied with no modifications and just do water changes. It is awesome and a lot lower maintenance than my wifes 180g with all her specialty corals. So I would say a 29g would even be better for a starting point. Just do your research before sticking things in. www.nanoreef.com has some helpful tips for setting up such tanks.
Chris

Der_Iron_Chef
08-06-2007, 01:08 AM
I like these little bio cubes. The only thing that makes a smaller system more difficult is the fact that a lower water volume translates into less stability. If something goes wrong in the tank, there is less water to "absorb" it, for lack of a better word.

But I say go for it! Just read up first and ask lots of questions. And be willing to test your water more regularly than, say, someone with a bigger system might.

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 01:28 AM
So when you say I shoud check my water more often, how often is that? And how often do I need to change the water?
Jenna

digital-audiophile
08-06-2007, 01:43 AM
In a tank that small, I would change a couple gallons every week.

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Is there a formula to calculate the number of fish/shrimps/stars/clams ets for a fishtank? A clown is a must :) And is it safe to have other fish around if I put an amneone to host my clown? How do I make sure it doesn't eat the other fish?
Jenna

Der_Iron_Chef
08-06-2007, 02:20 AM
I would recommend a Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA). Probably your best chances for survival, and aren't really known to eat fish. Other anemones (which would be entirely unsuitable to a tank of that size) do eat fish.

In a tank that size I would keep two or three fish (ones that won't get too big). A clown is ok for sure. Perhaps a chromis or damsel....a goby perhaps. I would stay away from starfish as they generally don't have a very good survival rate (except for, perhaps, brittle starfish).

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Too bad, I really wanted a starfish :( What about clams? Are they even fun to look at? I've seen some pictures of beautiful clams and I've seen some at Big Al's - didn't like them, they are brown and I want something more pretty.
What about snails and shrmps?

digital-audiophile
08-06-2007, 02:32 AM
To keep clams you need really good lighting. In a standard Bio-cube you would not have near enough light IMHO.

I would also suggest letting your tank mature for at least 6 months before you added an anemone. The need stable eco-systems to survive and flourish.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-06-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm sure others might disagree, but I'd really suggest you stay away from Starfish. I know, they can be so cool....until they die ;)

Shrimp are definitely ok! I'd suggest a Peppermint Shrimp. That way, if you get any aiptasia (pest anemones), there's a chance it'll eat 'em.

Clams. Well, depends on the lighting in the biocube. Does it come with Power Compacts or Metal Halides? I have no idea. They can be really beautiful.

I'd throw a few snails in, too. Astreas, Ceriths....something like that. Again, others can chime in. I'm certainly no expert!

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 02:36 AM
The one I'm thinking to buy comes with a fish, how do I make sure he survives? I probably won't be able to take all the water with me and putting him into new water + the move = too much stress.
Jenna

digital-audiophile
08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Are you getting established rock and sand with the tank? If you are and can move at least a portion of water with the tank you should see very little if any cycle assuming the tank is set up again right away.

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 02:41 AM
What does it mean "see" cycle? What does it look like? I thought "cycling" means having a fish tank with lr in it and nothing else? Help! :redface:
Jenna

digital-audiophile
08-06-2007, 02:45 AM
A "cycle" is the nitrogen cycle.

Ammonia is created from die off -> nitrite feeds on the ammonia -> nitrates feeds on the nitrite.

Only when you test 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrite is your cycle "complete" keep in mind that a new tank can have many small cycles in the beginning, so even if you are testing 0 one day, the next morning you might have new values.

I would really suggest reading some of the material here http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22067 before you get to far ahead of yourself.

Check out this link for a bit of an explanation of the nitrogen cycle http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks Greg!
Jenna

skylord
08-06-2007, 03:40 AM
My daughter has the same system as what your looking at. She has been happy with it so far. She would like a bigger tank but just doesn't have the room. She ended up adding an extra MJ 1200 power head because the flow wasn't what it needed to be. When the tank gets about 2 liters low on water it starts making micro bubbles to let her know she needs to top up. She was able to get a fast start because she got water and cured live rock from me. Buying a used tank you should try to save what water you can. Along with the cured live rock, sand and livestock you should have good results.

She has a pair of clowns a small gobbie and another small fish but I cant remember what. She just added a Green Bubble Tip Anemone.

Her cube doesn't have near enough light for a clam but she has a cleaner shrimp, a few sexy shrimp and 2 peppermints that she would like to catch and be rid of. After they finished off the aiptasia they started eating her snails. She wasn't impressed. She has a couple of hermits and last I heard 2 or 3 hairy crabs (I warned her not to put her rock in my sump :evil: )

She has a few zoo's, zenia, kenya tree and soft corals of that sort.

If you would like to talk to her about what she has done so far let me know.

Scott

midgetwaiter
08-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Adding more water movement is a must, a Hydor Korallia 2 or Sieo 820 would be enough for soft corals and an bta.