PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the Okanagan

Gools
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey guys. I'll be moving to Vernon from Winnipeg in a couple of weeks. Been a while since I've been there. Just wondering if any new saltwater stores are around?

Also looking forward to meeting some new saltwater hobbiest.
And if anyone has an corals they have to frag drop me a line. I'm going to need some to start up when I arrive.

Later, Nigel

Der_Iron_Chef
08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Good luck with the move!

robzilla
08-05-2007, 03:06 PM
welcome to B.C.
there is one store in vernon, i believe it's called aj's or something like that.
a fellow canreefer, ron peter, lives in the area, and i'm sure he knows of a few other reefers in the area and could introduce you

LeeR
08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey i just moved from vernon to langley last month and ya AJ's pets and things is pretty much the only place in vernon thats got anything salt water. a bit expensive for corals but its to be expected in a small town. Live rocks like 11.99 a lb so if you can bring what you have with you. as for kelowna witch is 45 mins from vernon, there is a basement based business called ReefKeepers there website is www.reefkeepers. ca. i havn't actually been there but i heard they were pretty good. Thats pretty much it for the stored i know. if you cant find what you want there or think its to much you can always make a weekend trip down to the lower mainland.

cav~firez22
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Welcome to BC. I live in Kelowna, and ya, A.J's is the only one in Vernon with salt water, and yes,. Slightly expensive all around.

There is Reefkeepers in Kelowna, they just built a shop in their back yard, dedicated to the store. They have 2 very nice display tanks, and about 8 breeder tanks with livestock for sale as well. They have the usual, Chromis, Damsels, Yellow Tangs, Clowns, and then ever few weeks, they get a batch of nicer fish...

Best bet is as MacheteAvenue said, make a weekend trip to the lower mainland. Get great deals there.
HiddenReef in Abbotsford, J & L in Burnaby, Ocean Aquatics in Ladner/Delta, thats just a few i know of, and that i frequent..

Gools
08-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys.
Looking forward to meeting you guys once I get established.
Thanks for the info on places. I know AJ's well when I was living in Vernon 6yrs ago, so it's time to move back.

Doug
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys.
Looking forward to meeting you guys once I get established.
Thanks for the info on places. I know AJ's well when I was living in Vernon 6yrs ago, so it's time to move back.

Sure, leave us here in the cold. :lol:

Chaloupa
08-05-2007, 07:44 PM
OOOH lucky!!!! I loved living in the Okanagan....I lived in Peachland for several years and boy was it nice! Good luck with your move!

Gools
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Sure, leave us here in the cold. :lol:

And I sure won't miss the mosquitos!!!

It's been a nice 6yrs here in Winterpeg. But time to head back home!! I miss the fresh fruit, yummy.

LeeR
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
what part of vernon are you moving to? if you dont mind me asking. My parents place was a few blocks up from the lake, it was a awsome veiw! I miss it already.

Doug
08-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Now dont tell me there be no skitters in BC. :D

Gools
08-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I just bought a house a few blocks away from Fulton high school if you know where that is. Just a 5 min drive from Okanagan Lake.
MacheteAvenue you'll have to drop me a line when you come back to Vernon.

Sorry to tell you Doug there are no mosquitos, due to the fact they are always spraying the fruit trees. But I do remember the Bees being bad at times.

LeeR
08-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Awesome thats a pretty nice area. i think I'm going to go up in the next few weeks to pick up the rest of my material possessions and see the family.

oh and there are tons of mosquitoes just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

Okguy
08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
As everyone else has said AJ's in Vernon and Reefkeepers in Kelowna is prety much it. Both Petland and Total Pet each have 1 saltwater tank in their stores in Vernon.

I believe both Hidden Reef and J&L have free shipping when over $100 of stuff is purchased and is usually delivered pretty quick (3-4 days or overnight if you want to pay for it).

While AJ's is more expensive than the larger stores in the Vancouver area. He is willing to negotiate. I like the fact we have a decent store in Vernon (especially for emergencies) so I always give him a chance before I get equipment from Vancouver.

Good luck with the move.

Kevin

LeeR
08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
last time i was at total pet they did have a saltwater tank anymore and pet land was trying to sell Zoa frags for $75 thats why i didnt say anything about them. It is nice having aj's there it did get me started in the hobby.. but im not sure if thats a good or bad thing considering i dont have much money anymore. I guess it was good for Aj when i was there because he got lots of my money and i really dont mind.

danny zubot
08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Sounds like someone should organize a BC interior Frag swap. You might get people from Alberta and the Lower main to show up. Wouldn't that be something?:biggrin:

mseepman
08-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Hey Gools,

Welcome to Vernon. As everyone has said, AJ's is the main store around here. Complete Pet has also stepped into salt and they have some good deals every now and then on livestock, but don't carry anything for dry goods. Andrew at AJ's is working on selling the satellite Armstrong store they have and doubling the tanks at the main Vernon store.

I've been in the hobby for about 1 1/2 years after prompting from AJ and know a few other reefers if you have any other questions. I don't frag yet myself but would love to talk about it over a brew sometime.

I'm sure there are more than a few reefers in Vernon, so I'd like to see some type of local group get together. Maybe this is the start of something.

LeeR
08-11-2007, 06:26 AM
that BC interior Frag swap is a good plan. I would enjoy to see and be apart of that!

Gools
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I just strolled into town at 5 this morning. With about 150+lbs of live rock, and a bunch of my favorite sps frags. Unfortunetly I don't have my tank yet, still in the movers truck, so I have my rubbermaids to stare at all day. Once I get into my new place in the next couple weeks, I'll give you guys a shout, and we can get together.

Okguy
08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Welcome to Vernon :mrgreen:

:cool: Wow you picked a perfect day to roll into town. :cool:

Just remember this weather when we get to the dull sunless days of Fall and Winter.

I hope everything survived the trip. Good luck with the unpacking!

mseepman
08-25-2007, 12:20 AM
How goes the rubbermaid tubs??? Everything still alive and kicking?

Gools
08-25-2007, 05:04 AM
corals are good, maybe lost 1 or 2 out of 15 different varieties, but fragged 2 of each. Also shipped all my live rock. All are holding up good in there make shift containers.

mseepman
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
How goes your moving adventure now? Has everything adjusted to rubbermaids? How are you keeping flow in each container?

mseepman
12-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey Gools,

I suspect that you're up and running in Vernon now. How are things going? Where are some tank shots so we can see what you've set up?

Gools
12-21-2007, 01:07 AM
mseepman I'll try and get a couple shots of my progress over the weekend. It's going, just really slow.

Later, Nigel

mseepman
12-21-2007, 01:17 AM
I know what you mean by slow. I have been working on a DIY sump/fuge for months now. Just got it up and running on the weekend. So far...no floods, no divorce...hehe.

Gools
12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Did you drill any holes in your sump/fuge? I need to get a hole or 2 drilled in my sump, would rather take it somewhere as I don't feel like doing it myself. Do you know of any place in town that drills holes?

mseepman
12-21-2007, 04:49 AM
I didn't drill any holes in my sump because I was too nervous to go that way. I suspect that Okanagan glass (on 29th right beside Complete Pet Mart) would do it. They cut out the glass tops and such that I had made.

If you do plan on cutting it yourself, Princess Auto in Kelowna has a good deal on diamond hole saws.

LeeR
12-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Okanagan glass is really bad.

mseepman
12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
ARe they? I used them for convenience as I would be going in and out of the pet store. They did two panels of glass for me, same day service for $6 apiece. Seemed like a decent deal at the time.

I have asked them about tanks before and they said they don't build them anymore because of the liability.

Gools
12-22-2007, 12:41 AM
mseepman does Pete Kronbaugher (may not be spelled right) sound familiar?

LeeR
12-22-2007, 04:39 AM
They didnt build my tank but they cut the glass for it and i told them its for a fish tank so it has to be square and cut to the right size no more no less.. long store short ended up finding a bunch of messed up peices brought them back to be re cut drove all the way home and they were unsquare and not the right dimentions

mseepman
12-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Hey Gools,

I'm not sure I recognize that name. Again, I didn't work in the electrical division so although I met a lot of electricians during my work, I didn't always get to know them by name.

My name is Mark by the way. How did the work on the GCFI go?

mseepman does Pete Kronbaugher (may not be spelled right) sound familiar?

mseepman
12-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Machete,

Sorry to hear that about Ok glass. You're a brave soul to build your own tank.

Gools, given that OK glass might not be a good choice, I would say that Morgan's glass has a good name but I don't know if they do much small custom work at all. I'd give them a call.

They didnt build my tank but they cut the glass for it and i told them its for a fish tank so it has to be square and cut to the right size no more no less.. long store short ended up finding a bunch of messed up peices brought them back to be re cut drove all the way home and they were unsquare and not the right dimentions

mseepman
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey Nigel,

How goes the battle?

Gools
12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I think I said I would have some pics for you last weekend didn't I. LOL

Well not much is new. I ordered to much on boxing day. I really hope this gets going as I'm super impatient at this stage. I'll try and get some pics up soon. LOL

Gools
12-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Here's my slapped together 70g, and rubbermaid sump

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3982.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3983.jpg

And my rock I brought with me from Winnipeg sitting in coolers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3984.jpg

My project that's taking forever
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3978-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3979.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/gools1/IMG_3981.jpg

Skimmerking
12-29-2007, 04:49 AM
looking good Nigel, miss looking at your tank. Oh ya nice light fixture by the way. i think i have my fish tank in good order now finally. About time i got my act together, until after Afghanistan and I start my new tank again, to put into the new recroom

Gools
12-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Yah Mike I'm going to miss all the money I would squeeze out of you for frags. LOL

mseepman
12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Gools,

That's looking good. If you need a hand lifting the tank up onto the stand, make sure you give ask me. I bought 2 "glass suction cup lifters" (who knows what they're really called) from Princess auto earlier in the year getting ready for when I get a new tank.

Gools
12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Sounds good. I'm dreading the lift. But it won't be for a while anyways :(

mseepman
12-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Now that I've offered to help, you better tell me how big the tank is...haha. I figured maybe a 150 or 180?

Gools
12-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Sucker. LOL.

Guess I should have mentioned it a 300g. 96x30x24. I can't even slide it on my carpet. And I'm a pretty big guy.

mseepman
12-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Yikes...Sucker is right. Oh well, I'll just call on you when I need my tank lifted up too.
So who made your tank? Is it new or did you have it at the last place?

Gools
12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I got it from aquarium illusions in Edmonton. One of their display tanks they were selling.
I had a 180 in Winnipeg, but shipping was to much, and gave me an excuse to finally upgrade
what size tank are you upgrading to?
Later, Nigel

Skimmerking
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Sucker. LOL.

Guess I should have mentioned it a 300g. 96x30x24. I can't even slide it on my carpet. And I'm a pretty big guy.

You are opening your self to a good smart @ss remark there Nigel.. No Nigle your not big your Huge lol

pinner_28
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Looks good welcome back to the sunny okanagan.Wish we had any stores down here in penticton all we have is total pet but they never have anything and ouch petcetera i went in there yesterday and i thought i was in the scene from finding nemo with the dirty tank.Reefkeppers is a good store to go to haven't been for a while got tired of handing over my pay check lol
Terry
ps if you decide to sell some frags hint hint i would love to stop in on the way back from my parent in kamloops

mseepman
12-30-2007, 04:55 PM
The tank looks nice. I was interested in seeing a tank from AI as they have been on my list for when I upgrade.

As for the upgrade...I bought a lot overlooking Okanagan lake and now I'm working on arranging a builder that I picked out. He's excellent, but busy so he can't start till late 2008. Plus my wife and I are expecting our first little one in January so I have to balance being kid poor, house poor and reef poor. I'm drawing my own house plans, so I've been working on how to integrate an in-wal 250 - 280g and a full fish room. It's great to see what people on here have been doing because I'm learning how many things I need to think about first.

I'm assuming from the look of your pics that you had a partially finished basement that you are building the tank room into?

I got it from aquarium illusions in Edmonton. One of their display tanks they were selling.
I had a 180 in Winnipeg, but shipping was to much, and gave me an excuse to finally upgrade
what size tank are you upgrading to?
Later, Nigel

Gools
12-31-2007, 03:49 AM
Terry, I'll let you know when I have frags, will be a while but I'll give you a shout if I get any. Also I'm assuming Reefkeepers is a salt store? Where are they located?

mseepman congrats on the arrival of your first little one. I have 2. 3 year old, and 15 month old so I feel your pain when you say broke. My basement is finished, but I did tear down a wall and built a new one to accomidate a fish room, and to have the tank inwall. Just in the stall mode cause the electrical is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Going to mention to that my dad's coming to visit me from Winnipeg, so I'm getting some stuff from Praire reef supplies, so if anyone wants and drygoods, that's easy enough to bring on a plane, your more then welcome to tag on. Free shipping

Later

Myka
12-31-2007, 04:27 AM
Your "slapped together" tank looks pretty good. :)

Have you been to Reef Keepers yet? They recently had some(prick)one dump some sort of poison in their tanks when they were really busy, so they lost a lot of stuff. :( Probably not worth stopping by for a month or so...

Gools
12-31-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks on the slapped together tank. In person it looks like crap, finally broke down and bought a small yellow tang to start croping back the algae a bit.

I haven't even heard of reefkeepers until today. Are they in Kelowna, or Penticton? Website? I can't believe someone would poison a tank. I hope he finds out who it was.

Myka
12-31-2007, 04:33 AM
Some people mentioned them earlier in this thread. They are in Kelowna (technically they are in Rutland) and are the best place in the Okanagan (that I'm aware of) for corals and fish. They don't have a whole lot of corals, but they are usually reasonably healthy, and are the only place in Ok that you can get SPS on occasion. They usually have a decent supply of basic LPS, and all sorts of softies/leathers/mushrooms/polyps.

Gools
12-31-2007, 04:35 AM
This back and forth on two threads is making me dizzly. I better go back and re- read my own thread, good greef.

Myka
12-31-2007, 05:07 AM
HAHAHA! Well, I'm going to bed so no more 2 threads from me! :D

pinner_28
12-31-2007, 06:03 AM
thanks gools that would be great always looking for frags.I hope Randy (reefkeepers) find out how did that to there tanks.Reefkeepers has a web site it hasen't changed in a few years but will give you directions.

mseepman
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
I can't believe that someone would poison a tank...that's just brutal.

As for stores with coral, AJ's is starting to bring in some more varied stuff these days and Complete Pet (also in Vernon) brings in some pretty unique livestock, but pretty basic corals (softies, polyps, etc.)

I heard that the pet store in the Mission has a pretty good salt selection...but I've never been there. On my two visits to Reef-keepers, I found them to be extremely rude, and willing to tell me anything to get me to buy. I personally don't plan on going back there.

To my knowledge, Penticton is void of any realy saltwater stores. Petcetera doesn't count because all they do is torture the fish.

Myka
12-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't believe that someone would poison a tank...that's just brutal.

As for stores with coral, AJ's is starting to bring in some more varied stuff these days and Complete Pet (also in Vernon) brings in some pretty unique livestock, but pretty basic corals (softies, polyps, etc.)

I heard that the pet store in the Mission has a pretty good salt selection...but I've never been there. On my two visits to Reef-keepers, I found them to be extremely rude, and willing to tell me anything to get me to buy. I personally don't plan on going back there.

To my knowledge, Penticton is void of any realy saltwater stores. Petcetera doesn't count because all they do is torture the fish.

The mission store is called Pet City. They guy is nice, but not the most knowledgable when it comes to corals. All his corals are $60, and he often cannot identify them for you. I think that's why the one price. ;)

Reef Keepers are a bit on the haughty side. The wife more than the husband. But they have good livestock at the most reasonable prices, so that's where I go mostly.

mseepman
01-18-2008, 11:17 PM
So Nigel, how is the tank coming along?

Gools
01-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Slow. Actually had my electrition here today, and gave me some more to do. Got my panel to put up, and I just went to homehardware and got some wire, so next week he will be here to finish it off, and then I can start to gyproc the inside wall.

Also got most of my plumbing supplies from sprayer parts in Winnipeg, so just rechecking my drawings making sure I don't have to change anything.

mseepman
01-19-2008, 04:58 AM
There's an awesome place to get plumbing supplies in town out at the interchange heading to Kamloops. If you are missing anything, I'm sure they have it.

Gools
02-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey mark what kind of hours do you work? I need to pick your brain on some plumbing ideas. Are you availible Sunday morning at all? Or if anyone else in Vernon wants to comeover, and give me some suggestions, would be great. Tanks still on the floor but have been drawing up ways I want to do it. But not liking the way some of it's going.

mseepman
02-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Hey Nigel, no problem I would be glad to come over on Sunday. I work from home during the week (and travel a fair bit) but weekends are mine.

PM your address and phone # and we'll work it out.

Okguy
02-06-2008, 11:24 PM
:eek: Nigel, I don't know how I missed the size of your new tank!

Sucker. LOL.

I can't believe you are building a setup like that and there hasn't been a thread documenting the build. I might have to offer my limited services to help you lift it, just so I can see this thing. Let me know if you need any help.

Kevin

Gools
02-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I think once I get the tank on the stand, I might pop up a couple pictures. So far the build has taken a few months.

Thanks for the offer to lift the tank, if I need a hand I'll give you a shout. If you ever want to venture over and give some opinions, would be great. Mark came last weekend, and gave me a few new ideas.

Skimmerking
02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Well i hope Nigel that you cvan have a tank like before that was amazing, you boys in the west coast are in for a treat

mseepman
02-13-2008, 05:23 AM
Well Nigel, now that we've moved the tank onto the stand...I'm expecting to see more pictures on here. Speaking of the move, that went a lot better than I expected. I barely have any aches or pains...lol. If nothing else, it took a lot of the dread of putting a large tank in my own house away.

Let me know if you need some hands to help you with the plumbing.

Gools
02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe I should start a thread soon. That did go alot better then I thought. I think I would have been fine with just 4 guys. Thanks for your help Mark. I'll keep you posted if I need a hand.

mseepman
02-25-2008, 05:03 AM
How goes the battle

Gools
02-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Making some progress. Tank is filled with fresh water, to test the plumbing for leaks, and finishing durso's, and other things to make it quieter. Just trying to round up some sand, then some rock. Then I will be working on the light rack and wiring up the lights. Today I built the stand for my fuge, frag, and Q tank. Building it in my livingroom with the kids, as that's the only way it will ever get done, but I must say we all had a blast.