PDA

View Full Version : Hi

new_reefer
12-30-2002, 07:49 PM
Hi guys/gals

It's been I while since I've posted but I'm back. Anyone willing to trade some frags for some pulsing xenia??

Den

FishGeek
01-01-2003, 08:06 PM
What kind of xenia? Thinbar, pom pom,blue...etc?

Simon

new_reefer
01-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Simon,

I'm not to sure, here is a pic of it http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1201371

Den

Bob I
01-02-2003, 01:13 AM
That looks like Xenia elongata. It is only slightly better than Aiptasia. I am about to remove the last of that weed from my tank. I don't have any real enemies in this hobby, and don't need to make enemies out of my friends, so I won't even give it away. I expect to consign mine to the garbage.

Canadian Man
01-02-2003, 03:31 AM
That looks like Xenia elongata. It is only slightly better than Aiptasia. I am about to remove the last of that weed from my tank. I don't have any real enemies in this hobby, and don't need to make enemies out of my friends, so I won't even give it away. I expect to consign mine to the garbage.

Come on Bob, Opinion, Opinion, Opinion :wink: :D
Some people like Xenia.

Tau2301
01-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Especially Xenia the Warrior Princess. :D

Delphinus
01-02-2003, 05:31 AM
I kind of like xenia .... ?? Aiptasia is considered "bad" because it has the capability to sting corals for which one may have spent a lot of money, but xenia doesn't damage corals, so I don't know if it's an entirely fair comparison (to each their own of course! ;) ). It just walks around the tank, so if you like a place for everything, and everything to be in it's place, then maybe xenia is not the best for you. But it's not really all that hard to control, either?

Just food for thought, but there are setups that involve using xenia as nutrient export. Heck, there are those that use aiptasia for same (Calfo's book on coral propagation talks about this..) So even the "pests" can serve a useful purpose... sometimes .....

(I'll, uh, stop talking now, since it kind of seems the Calgarians have invaded the Edmonton forum ????? :shock: )

FishGeek
01-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Do all the heads of the xenia come out of one stalk? If it does then isn't it a pom pom xenia? Thin bar usually encrusts the surface and spreds like that! If it is pom pom, then I know a few people looking for that stuff. Hey Den, which part of the city do you live in? I'm south side.

Simon

Bob I
01-02-2003, 05:12 PM
I kind of like xenia .... ?? Aiptasia is considered "bad" because it has the capability to sting corals for which one may have spent a lot of money, but xenia doesn't damage corals, so I don't know if it's an entirely fair comparison (to each their own of course! ;) ). It just walks around the tank, so if you like a place for everything, and everything to be in it's place, then maybe xenia is not the best for you. But it's not really all that hard to control, either?

Oh, I have a bit of a soft spot for it too, but I am concerned that I am finding baby Xenias far from the parent colony. That would make control difficult. I may just try it in my refugium, as I hate to throw things out, and at least it won't sporulate. :D

Bob I
01-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Come on Bob, Opinion, Opinion, Opinion :wink: :D
Some people like Xenia.

Yes I am sorry. I forgot to say that it was only my opinion. I would normally not bother the Edmontonians, so I will go away now. I will, however, mention that I have just put some Xenia in my refugium. We will see how it does there. :D :D

new_reefer
01-03-2003, 04:34 AM
Simon

I'm on the south side. Don't you work at BA?

Den

FishGeek
01-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Yup. I do. Have i met you before?

Simon

new_reefer
01-03-2003, 11:00 PM
I was in BA once and I think we talked a little reef.

Is there still intrest in the Xenia?

Den